New Member: Aluminum Boat Stabilizing ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFisher

Reaction score
So I am new here and I just got my first aluminum boat. It is a 12ft sears model aluminum boat and it is fairly narrow.

I have been looking for ideas on how I may be able to stabilize my boat? (I am not sure if this is the right place to post this?)

Any ideas/pictures would be greatly appreciated.

After you spend some time in your new boat, it won't seem as tippy. It's somewhat like a canoe or kayak. You just learn to stay low and balanced.
I've seen some crazy stuff trying to stabilize a small jon, but nothing I would recommend.
Here is a guy we towed in on Granger lake. He has some sort of pvc pipes on each side. Not sure if they are for stabilizing or he had a problem sinking his jon before. :p

[youtube]ZmKbyzpvSug[/youtube]

It sounds like you might already be questioning the stability of your boat and whether or not it's the right boat for you. Believe me I know that nothing takes the fun out of boating and fishing like being afraid you are going to end up in the drink. I have been through that. Wider and deeper is better in most cases unless you are limited by how you transport it. You can't really make it deeper and about the only thing else you could do is add outriggers or pontoons to it. Before you go to the expense and work of doing something like that consider looking at a different boat with wider beam and higher sides. You will feel and be safer and have more fun on the water.

Thanks for the info. A family friend gave me the aluminum boat and currently I do not have a lot of spare money to buy a bigger one because I am a student. My family has a big fishing boat, but I wanted a small one that I can get into some of the smaller lakes with.

Canoe and Kayak guys do this.

Use 6" PVC Drain pipe to make outriggers, and connect the sides together with 3" PVC.

Fishing_kayak_with_outriggers_Wayne_FL_07.jpg

Run a bolt on each side through each cross member through the crossmember and through your gunwale and put a wing nut on it so its easy to remove.

Latest posts