New (to me) 12' sears

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmwsc

Reaction score
I came across what I thought was a pretty good deal on craigslist so I took the 10 minute ride to check it out. I ended up purchasing a 12' sears v-hull. The bow of the boat has a decent sized dent/weld repair. The seller stated that with the repair as is now the boat doesn't leak but I'm hoping I can straighten out to make it look a little nicer. Needs the transom wood replaced as well. As long as it floats I don't think it's a bad deal for the $65 I paid.

IMAG1226.jpg

IMAG1225.jpg

Anybody have any advice on how to work out that dent? I've seen some posts that say that the aluminum can get brittle and be tough to work with but I've seen some other posts where people have hammered away with great results. Is keeping the area heated the most important part? I realize that I'll most likely break the weld when I try to bang out the dent. I have buddy that is more than capable of welding it for me but would something like these low temp aluminum welding rods from Harbor Freight be adequate?

I had a fisher jon boat years ago that was worse than your boat. it had been welded in several places at the bow and was dented up. it bothered me for a day or two, then I took the boat out fishing and forgot all about it. if it doesn't leak and you cant see any daylight, i'd leave it alone. fish out of it til you get tired of it, and you can probably get your money back just selling it for scrap aluminum

I just purchased the exact same boat a couple weeks ago and mine has a little crack in the bottom of the boat. I am considering using J-B WELD MARINE WELD or 3m 5200 Marine Adhesive. It sounds like both of the products are supposed to work for aluminum boats. If yours ends up leaking I will let you know which one I decide to use and how it works out.

I agree with Bean. If it doesn't leak it's only cosmetic. You might get the low spots to pound out a little but the weld will not stretch back into place. If you stress it too much you might crack the metal. Even with that damage, you got a great deal.

LOL looks almost like the one I just bought.
I told my wife - a little Bondo and it will be hardly noticeable.
Right now, my metalsmith skills just don't have the PATIENCE to mess with it.

If it is watertight and doesn't leak, I suggest just paint over it for now
and move on to your other issues . . . . then GO FISHING !!!

Throw your life jackets over it when it is in the water, you will soon forget it is even dented.

Attachments

• 1236 Jon.JPG
    1236 Jon.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,549
I finally brought the boat home today. I tossed it in the back of my dad's utility trailer which was neither wide enough or long enough. I'm on the lookout now for a reasonably priced boat trailer for it. When we were putting it in the back of the trailer I noticed there is no drain on the boat. I thought this was a little unusual but is it a big deal? It'll be stored outside but upside down so no water will accumulate in it. I guess it has the advantage of me never forgetting to put the plug in before going out. Also - I noticed the damage looks far worse in the photos than in real life.

It was nice out today and I couldn't resist banging away on the dent. They're not the best photos but I was pretty happy with how it came out. If I can just grind down those lumpy old welds it'll perfect for me.

Old:
IMAG1270.jpg

Now:
IMAG1273.jpg

IMAG1278.jpg

It looks like Your on Your way!
About the lack of drain plug, when they started making aluminum boats
They figured that they wouldn't leak like the old wooden boats did.
Therefore they didn't need a drain plug.
Leave it to an engineer not to think about rain!
Good Luck with Your boat.

Steve A W

I just haven't had much time to work on the boat - my kids' schedules have kept me busy. I finally have my new wood for the transom cut, sealed, and ready to install. On the trailer I need to move the winch back bit - the trailer was formerly used with a 14' boat. Hoping to be out on the water in it by next weekend.

I do, however, need to address the lack of a drain. I'm going to lose those auxiliary drain holes when the transom wood is mounted. On the plus side I have determined that the boat doesn't leak!

IMAG1622.jpg

IMAG1624.jpg

bobmwsc said:
I do, however, need to address the lack of a drain.
Nice $65 pick up!

For your drain, don't use what you were going to ... use one of these MADE specifically to put a drain into an aluminum boat. Only $7 from here: https://www.carolinaboatoutfitters....boat-drain-kit-moeller-020848001-p-79684.html

And here's a post I put with info on how to make your own flaring tool to set brass or aluminum scupper and/or drain tubes: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37298

Attachments

• DIY Flaring Tool.jpg
    DIY Flaring Tool.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,422
  • Aluminum Drain Plug.jpg
    Aluminum Drain Plug.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,422
Info from Moeller customer support on the installation. Picture and PDF of the card backing attached.

[email protected]

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your inquiry with Moeller Marine. I have attached the backing card below. The O-ring goes towards the outside of the transom around the end of the drain tube. There is a grooved edge on the larger aluminum piece and the grooved edge will go towards the O-ring to help seal.

Unfortunately, I only have an older backing card and it shows the sloped flange fixture, this typo has since been changed and should state fitted flange fixture.

Regards,

Heather Watkins
Customer Service/Tech Support

Attachments

• Moeller Drain Install.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Moeller Drain Install.JPG
    Moeller Drain Install.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,389
Thanks for the info Dale. I'll be sure to pick one of those up when I get a chance. I'll only be very nervous to drill a hole that size in the back of my boat!

I finished up mounting the transom wood last week. I had originally decided on a piece of luan for the exterior part. It was all cut , sanded, stained, and had about 8 coats of spar urethane on it then I changed my mind. I found an inexpensive plastic cutting board at Wal-Mart that was about the right size. I cut it to fit and got everything mounted up. Because I used a stair tread for the interior of the transom I figured I had enough depth to countersink the transom mounting washers/screws. I made sure everything got sealed up well.

Here's how it's looking tonight after I mounted up the Johnson 4 hp and adjusted the trailer to accommodate a 12' boat.

Ignore all the smoke... I think there was about a 30:1 ratio in that fuel.

I hope to get it out on the water Wednesday for a test run.

IMAG1779.jpg
IMAG1778.jpg
IMAG1780.jpg
IMAG1776.jpg
IMAG1777.jpg

ProduceMan said:
Gotta love Craigslist! Is that a fuel tank on the motors shaft? Never seen anything like that.

That is the fuel tank mounted to the shaft. Helps save some space in a smaller boat. It holds a fair amount of fuel too - I'll give an (almost) exact amount when I fill up.

Craigslist is great. The total investment so far in the boat has been minimal - well under $200 total for boat, trailer, motor, and transom repair. The biggest expense will be buying a battery for the trolling motor.

ProduceMan said:
Gotta love Craigslist! Is that a fuel tank on the motors shaft? Never seen anything like that.
I was wondering about that as well. I've got a buddy that has what appears to be the same motor minus that black tank looking affair on the motor. Is it an aftermarket item or did it come with the motor.

I never posted after I got the boat out on the water - it's worked out great so far. The 4hp Johnson moves the boat along quicker than I thought it would. I had been scouring craigslist for a larger HP motor until I actually used the 4HP. I was fortunate that the repair to the front is water tight. I've had my kids out a few times to do some fishing and they love it!

The thing I noticed though is because I extended the transom wood across the entire backside of the boat but only used the old existing transom holes I have a ton of vibration at the ends of the new transom. I just need to drill a few holes and secure the edges.

Also - the motor mounted fuel tank holds about 3/4 gallon of fuel - plenty for a few trips out!

Latest posts