Moving my side console/controls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to change the layout of my boat a little bit and move my side console forward about 2 feet. Do I have to buy all new cables for the controls and the steering or do they make extensions? I would assume the throttle and gear cables just need to be replaced, but the teleflex cable for steering doesn't seem like it will be cheap. Do the control cables come in very specific sizes? It looks like the steering cable can't move much at all.

Any idea what kind of costs I am looking at or a cheap way of doing it? My motor is a '95 Mercury 25hp remote control (obviously).

jethro said:
I am looking to change the layout of my boat a little bit and move my side console forward about 2 feet. Do I have to buy all new cables for the controls and the steering or do they make extensions? I would assume the throttle and gear cables just need to be replaced, but the teleflex cable for steering doesn't seem like it will be cheap. Do the control cables come in very specific sizes? It looks like the steering cable can't move much at all.

Any idea what kind of costs I am looking at or a cheap way of doing it? My motor is a '95 Mercury 25hp remote control (obviously).

Check these guys out for new steering cables. You can get a new teleflex steering cable for around $100
https://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/

You will need all new cables and possible need to extend your wiring.

I'm moving my center console forward and had to get longer cables. I got a new uflex steering cable for $88 shipped off Ebay and new teleflex control cables off Ebay for around $52 shipped. I actually might be putting my old cables up for sale shortly, I have a 94 Mercury 60/45 jet and I think the control cables are 11' (I also have a spare 13' cable). I think my steering cable is around 14-15' long but I need to measure to double check. But if you find out exactly what you need, take time and search around Ebay or Amazon you can probably get a good deal.

I just double checked and I got 18' Teleflex control cables (2) for $55 shipped and the Uflex 16' steering cable for $89.99 shipped. My old Teleflex steering cable looks to be 13' but I know you have to measure a side console differently from the center console.

What effects if any, will result from moving the console forward? Just curious.

For me, I wanted to get more weight up front. My boat is a jet tunnel so it balances it out more with the weight up front. I found I have a couple of the Mercury 8 pin wiring harnesses as well, but they are kind of butchered up at the console/key switch end. I got one off Ebay last year for $38 shipped new in the box and it's long enough to still work with my console moved forward. I'm almost done with my project so I'll post up some pictures once I get it all cleaned up.

Abraham said:
What effects if any, will result from moving the console forward? Just curious.

I want to improve my floor layout for a fishing spot in the back of the boat. Moving the console about 2' forward will allow me to mount a floor mounted seat in the stern.

Latest posts