Adding gutters to shed water on hatches?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Gents: On my frp or 'plastic classic' hulls I'm well versed in various methods to add rain/water gutters around hatches for a truly water-resistant seal as well as keeping the contents of said storage areas dry.

While I can do this on my tin boat IF I use a wood sub-frame as the basis for the hatch ... does anyone know of a slick trick for tin boats that I may not be aware of? As with anything in tinnies, trying to minimize adding any weight.

I myself am fond of fiberglass and extruded aluminum.

BUT, this comes from years of working with it in the marine and automotive world.
extruded aluminum of all shapes and sizes is available through the mail order community.
if you can find something that fits your needs, you can adapt it to your hatch covers.
with some screws, rivets, caulking, 3M-5200, etc etc etc you could retard water infiltration.

if you have a design in mind already for the gutter, please post a drawing or photo.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
if you have a design in mind already for the gutter, please post a drawing or photo.
... I don't, hence the question ...

I'm seeking any good ideas, options, or ready-made components ... else I'll be making them up as I go, with frp and aluminum as you stated.

Latest posts