Transom fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samtech

Reaction score
Pictured below is the inside cover on 1648 Fisher marine transom. Please note the amount of holes. The aluminum sheet is extremely thin. Not sure of the thickness. This piece covers the wood on transom on inside of boat. Any suggestions of how to fix this one? Really do not know where to purchase a sheet of aluminum this thin. It is approx. 5 ft wide and height is about 2ft.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 694
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 694
OUCH! That one's hurt bad. :(

Find a sheet metal fabrication shop in your area. They will pattern it and cut out of aluminum. Ask for an estimate.

in MY world, I would not recover the wood completely with the tin sheet.
Just remake your wood transom as you like and only use about an 8-12" strip
of metal across the top part. Whatever thickness you you can find. I use .080".
I am thinking the full tin skin on the inside was only cosmetics. Not structural.
Your wood is the structural part.

You mentioned you want to replace the entire skin . . .
I guess if by doing that, you are wanting to restore it back to original condition ?
If that is the case, can you really be sure it came from the factory with the full skin ?
Or, could it have been added on by one of the previous owners.

If you want to get a piece of aluminum sheet and replace the entire skin,
many sign shops use .040" aluminum sheet for signs. Most are already prepainted
with baked on enamels in a rainbow of colors. A few years ago, a 4' x 8' x .040" sheet
was $42.00. Maybe a sign shop could sell you half a sheet. Very easy to cut with a skilsaw.
Not much can take off the baked on enamel paint other than a random orbit sander
which would only take about 20-30 minutes.

Good advice Johnny! I would have never thought about using signage material. :idea:

makes me say, hhhhmmmmm. :wink:

M
Tyler, Texas

Latest posts