Attaching carpet to plywood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamabill

Reaction score
I'm getting close to installing the carpet into my Lowe 1648MV. Spent several hours here trying to find some detailed pics or description of how guys are finishing the edges. Is everyone trimming it flush with the plywood edge or wrapping it around the edge a couple inches and stapling on the bottom side? I prefer to do the latter. How would I do the corners to avoid too much bunched up material? Thanks for any help!

Good morning!

On the corners;
Bring your carpet to a point at the corner; fold the corner in where it is flat and staple down; fold one side in, flush, and staple down' fold the other side in and staple down. If the carpet is overlapping too much, trim it back just enough to stay flush and meet the other side. That gives you a nice finished. clean corner.

Hope this helps.

M
Tyler, Texas

Thanks! I think I get it. Just cover the the face of the edge and trim flush with the bottom surface of the panel?

Just a quick sketch.....
In the seamstress/upholstery world they call this an "envelope" fold.

Good luck!
M
Tyler, Texas

Attachments

• Sketch for corners on boat carpet.jpg
    Sketch for corners on boat carpet.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,048
No, not flush. You will want it to overlap on the bottom apprx 1". Try it with a piece a paper. You will see if you don't center the corner fold in, one side will be longer than the other. Try to center it. Thus, bring your carpet to a point; take that point to the center on the bottom side of your wood (#1).

HINT:
Do your first corner and staple down. "Dry" fit the sides. Do not staple the sides yet.
Do all 4 corners first, then your sides. :idea:

Let me know if I can help you any further.

M
Tyler, Texas

You are welcome! Glad I could be of help.

Carpet is tough to deal with in the corners because it is so bulky. Be sure you (tuck) it in good before you staple the sides. Sometimes, it takes an extra set of hands to hold it down while someone else staples.

Another HINT :idea:
Use stainless staples. The old cheap kind will rust and rot out within a short period of time. :x

Another deal I ways do is to file/sand the corner a bit at an angle so it is not sharp. Your carpet, vinyl or fabric will lay better. 8)

M
Tyler, Texas

And, No, I am not a professional. I've had to learn to do these things by hands on experience, rather than pay someone to do it for me.

It's not hard. You can do it! Post some pics of your work!

I also put liquid nail on the plywood, before I laid the carpet on it, and I kind of rolled it out with a foam roller. Then after I stretched the carpet over and stapled it down, I let my kids walk all over it.

no Mr. Tyler I haven't got it done yet. I've just now got done with spar varnish. I used a gallon on essentially 2 sheets of plywood. 3 coats top and bottom, even more on edges. I notched the edges of my floor to fit around the ribs, and I just realized there's no way to cover those edges completely after trimming.

I just realized there's no way to cover those notched edges completely after trimming.

Bill, can you cut some strips from your carpet and carefully cover just
the notched out areas first with contact cement, or whatever adhesive you
are going to work with ???
Try to envision the finished project. - - - - if you can cover the notched out areas first,
let them dry completely, then, apply your full carpet pieces. Carefully done, I think it will look just fine.

Jus my dos centavos

Johnny,
yeah I thought of that. not sure it'd be worth the effort. since you'd have to get on all fours to see it, I'll probably just let it go. only wood showing would be in the corners of the notch. thanks for suggesting though.

I've got this I think. I did a practice run using formerly posted website and came up with this layout for my corners.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 415
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 415

Latest posts