Float pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wampuscat

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428892384.327885.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428892404.328643.jpg
Ordered some beaver tail float pods (from Walmart.com of all places) $250 for the pair. Had the local Welding school slap them on there and tada!
I'm pretty pleased on my initial trial. Seems to have a lot more buoyancy in the stern. It rides a bit higher. Cuts the same. And yet much more stable.

This 1979 1756 polar Kraft has been a 100% makeover project. My father bought the boat the year I was born. Not much remains from the original, but I don't plan on selling it anytime soon!

I've been considering pods on my small 12ft boat to help make up for duck hunting gear and weight. Glad to see yet another satisfied user!

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Also considering them.

Wal-Mart ???? LOL yeah, of all places.

If I ever take the plunge, am sure I will cut holes in the tops of them
and afix some sort of weather proof entry for storage.

GREAT JOB !!!
Not a bad idea. I don't like the drain plugs in these. Would rather have a screw in brass plug. Would be too easy to lose a plug and fill a pod with water.

I googled these pods, was going to buy from Cabelas online then found them $20 cheaper with free shipping from Walmart.

Im thinking of putting a pair on my tracker V16. I have a feeling that it will be a bit *** heavy due to my 240 pound etec and my 220 pounds dad as driver lol

They add 250 lbs in buoyancy in the stern so you can counter him or the motor!

I thought about filling mine with some kind of foam so I can forget the plug issue. Thoughts?

I need to add some of those, I would not fill them with foam. the plug is not a hassle, water soaked foam is.

On top of the buoyancy benefit is you can run your engine higher and trimmed back further without ventilating in sharp turns. Just like the transom the pods force the water up in the pocket behind the boat. This "Pillow" of higher water provided by the pods is a real benefit when running in the shallows trimmed back.

My 550 lb. bare hull 1652 Weld-Craft measures an actual 74" at the gunnels, 16'3" long and with the 21" transom pods 18' long. It rides like an 18' not a 16'.

Pods are a great option. I wouldn't own a Jon without them.

Steve A W said:
When You put the pods on, does that increase the registration cost of the boat?
Now it's a foot and a half longer.

Steve A W

Not here. My title says 16' in the length info area.

Looking good! It looks like you could have squeezed the medium pods back there. Is there any reason why you didn't go bigger? I think I'm gonna try to fit the medium pods on the back of my 1752.

Steve A W said:
When You put the pods on, does that increase the registration cost of the boat?
Now it's a foot and a half longer.

Steve A W

I'm in Kentucky. Boat tag is like $28 a Year. I'm not telling them I did anything to it and they don't ask.

mbweimar said:
Looking good! It looks like you could have squeezed the medium pods back there. Is there any reason why you didn't go bigger? I think I'm gonna try to fit the medium pods on the back of my 1752.
I thought about this after i got them. Wish I had gone with the mediums but was unsure how it would workout and I didn't want to deal with trying to return them via mail.

This boat is 16.5 and 56" wide.

nowgrn4 said:
On top of the buoyancy benefit is you can run your engine higher and trimmed back further without ventilating in sharp turns. Just like the transom the pods force the water up in the pocket behind the boat. This "Pillow" of higher water provided by the pods is a real benefit when running in the shallows trimmed back.

My 550 lb. bare hull 1652 Weld-Craft measures an actual 74" at the gunnels, 16'3" long and with the 21" transom pods 18' long. It rides like an 18' not a 16'.

Bingo. I am now looking for a jack plate. My engine is one notch from max height and needs to go up more.
I never thought about the pillow of water effect you describe.

Anyone have suggestions on type and place to get a jack plate??

Wampuscat said:
nowgrn4 said:

Bingo. I am now looking for a jack plate. My engine is one notch from max height and needs to go up more.
I never thought about the pillow of water effect you describe.

Anyone have suggestions on type and place to get a jack plate??
I'm looking too. See a few on CL and EBay, I just don't trust them. Plus I don't need one that big.

I'm having trouble with my depth finder reading properly since installing the pods. Anyone have experice with this?

Could you post a pic of where your transducer is mounted? I'm worried about the same thing when I get mine.

I have pods. I mounted my cigar shaped Lorance transducer on the transom centered between 2 of the ridges on the bottom. It's mounted about 6" inboard from the pod. The transducer bottom is mounted level with the hull bottom but tilted down a few degrees in the rear. Works fine.

The key is to mount it in the most bubble free flow possible.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429488610.079695.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429488631.359704.jpg

I know the angle is off a little but otherwise? Why is it reading all over the place?

Latest posts