3M 5200

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelrusty

Reaction score
:?: Hello all. I've seen a lot of uses for 5200 adhesive sealant around here so I felt it would be some handy stuff to have around while I'm getting my new 1442 fishing ready. Order gets here today and I'm looking at this tube and tryin to figure out what kinda dispensing device I need to run a bead of this stuff. It doesn't look like a regular caulking gun will work nor will a grease gun. What do you guys use for an applicator?

Unless you are going to use up the whole calking type tube within a few days,
it is not economical as it hardens in the tube just like silicone and RTV does.
I think most here use the small toothpaste type tubes.
My Lowe's here carries the 5200 cartridge tube - but not the dispenser.
My Ace Hardware has the dispenser, but is out of the cartridge adhesive . . . .. (?????????????????)

word of advice -
Make SURE you get ALL the adhesive off the threads prior to putting the cap back on.
There are two types of 5200: regular, which takes 7 days to cure and "fast cure" which takes 24 hours to cure.
If the adhesive hardens inside the tube stem, use a drill bit that size and drill out the plug.
You can do that a few times before you have to throw it away.
Just read and adhere to the directions of the products that you use.

and :WELCOME:

Jus my dos centavos

Last tube I got fit in a standard caulking gun. I also kept it viable for several months you covering tip with plastic or tape and storing in the freezer. Freezer drastically increases drying time and it will keep for quite a while. BTW freezing also works great for aquaseal(for repairing leaky waders).

:) Many thanks guys! I guess I'll be keeping it in the freezer once opened. I will certainly be getting the smaller tubes for future projects. :D

It cures when exposed to air so do NOT squeeze it out allow it to return BACK into the tube! Yes, you use a little more - squeeze out and cap FAST, as in really fast!!!!! - but that is better value than losing the entire tube.

FWIW it is also not the magic do-all elixir many here think it is. Good - yes, magical - uhhh no. And removed is easier you think it through. I use a product called Anti-Bond 2015 and an A-sized guitar string strung between 2 hardwood dowels as handles to 'saw' my way between 5200 affixed pieces. I just removed a tuna tower last SAT using this trick with no damage to glass hardtop or aluminum tower legs!

Latest posts