Time for a new Tow Vehicle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquiggyFreud

Reaction score
Just looking for everyone's opinion...

I will likely be buying a new vehicle towards the end of the year. I currently have a Nissan Rogue with a 1500# Tow capacity. My current Tin boat weighs in at 1500# on the trailer(Checked at cat scales) I am thinking of going up a size to a 7 passenger SUV...most in that class tow 5000#. Mid sized pickups tow 6-7000# and of course full sized trucks up to 9000+.

I know the SUV could handle my current boat, but I want to go to a 20ft bay in the next couple of years. From my research I would be looking at about 3000-3500#.

Would you all feel 100% confident the SUV with a 5000# capacity could handle that load-most importantly stopping it in a hurry, or should I start thinking about a truck?

Personally, I would go for a mid size pick up as I have no need for a 7 passenger vehicle. The increase in tow capacity would be an increase in peace of mind for me as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you didn't want to exceed half the tow rating unless the trailer had its own brakes - perhaps a rating just worked out this way for me in the past, I really don't recall...

Ya'll are going to make fun of me for this, but I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey and its pretty awesome as a tow vehicle. 3500lb capacity, but there are people out there towing a lot more with it, as long as you install air bags in the back to take the extra hitch weight.

I tow our 2500lb Popup Camper with it, with no problems at all. Installed a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller in it last year.

And it has more room inside than any SUV I've been in besides maybe a suburban. I can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood in with no problem if I take the seats out.

onthewater102 said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you didn't want to exceed half the tow rating unless the trailer had its own brakes - perhaps a rating just worked out this way for me in the past, I really don't recall...

Most states require trailers over 1000lbs to have brakes.

lugoismad said:
onthewater102 said:

I think most states are quite a bit higher than 1000 lbs. Probably around 2500 lbs.

I'm not married and don't have any kids so a regular cab pickup works great for me. It was awesome in the snow the last 2 winters as well.

Attachments

• Z71flares4.jpeg
    Z71flares4.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,085
JL8Jeff said:
lugoismad said:
onthewater102 said:

I think most states are quite a bit higher than 1000 lbs. Probably around 2500 lbs.

My bad. Just checked. Ohio is 2000lbs.

I got 1 ton and 1000lbs mixed up.

New River Rat said:
Be PATRIOTIC! But from an AMERICAN company, that builds in AMERICA!

Support the U.S.!!!!!

Not to start an argument, but my Honda was built in Lincoln, Alabama, my other car is a civic and was assembled in East Liberty, Ohio and my last car was an Accord and it was built in Ohio as well.

Silverados are assembled in Mexico.

I would much rather buy from a company that employs American workers, rather than mexicans and funnels all the profits back here to a couple of rich CEOs.

We're gonna look at the mid-size '16 Colorado with the turbo-diesel in the fall. https://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1311_2015_chevrolet_colorado_first_look/

"There will be a third engine added to the options list for the 2016 model year: a 2.8-liter Duramax I-4. Chevrolet hasn't announced power numbers for this yet, but in the global truck, it produces 197 hp and 369 lb-ft. However, it's likely that the diesel's hp and torque will be slightly lower here, as emissions requirements are tougher in the U.S. than in the rest of the world and use of aftertreatment can reduce power. That torque number is only slightly lower than that of GM's new EcoTec3 5.3-liter V-8, while potentially offering significantly better fuel economy. The engineers at Chevrolet also told us that the American-market version of this engine will be much quieter than the global unit. It will use Diesel Exhaust Fluid, with its refill point behind the fuel door. Unless one of the other manufacturers pulls off a big surprise in the next year, the Colorado will be the first midsize truck sold in the U.S. with a diesel engine."

Looks interesting.

nowgrn4 said:
We're gonna look at the mid-size '16 Colorado with the turbo-diesel in the fall. https://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1311_2015_chevrolet_colorado_first_look/

"There will be a third engine added to the options list for the 2016 model year: a 2.8-liter Duramax I-4. Chevrolet hasn't announced power numbers for this yet, but in the global truck, it produces 197 hp and 369 lb-ft. However, it's likely that the diesel's hp and torque will be slightly lower here, as emissions requirements are tougher in the U.S. than in the rest of the world and use of aftertreatment can reduce power. That torque number is only slightly lower than that of GM's new EcoTec3 5.3-liter V-8, while potentially offering significantly better fuel economy. The engineers at Chevrolet also told us that the American-market version of this engine will be much quieter than the global unit. It will use Diesel Exhaust Fluid, with its refill point behind the fuel door. Unless one of the other manufacturers pulls off a big surprise in the next year, the Colorado will be the first midsize truck sold in the U.S. with a diesel engine."

Looks interesting.

Awesome! I can't wait to see more light trucks with turbo diesels.

I would love to buy something S10 sized, but with a 4 cylinder diesel in it.

I had one in highschool. Fun little truck, but its gas mileage was horrible and couldn't haul anything worthwhile.

Bigger is better to a certain degree. A larger vehicle will tow a larger load better. But there comes a point that the tow vehicle is using more energy for itself than the load it is carrying or towing. If you tow very much a larger vehicle would be more beneficial in the long run. Then again you don't want to buy a class 8 truck for the wife to go grocery shopping in either. There needs to be balance in your decision. It depends on what you will use it for and how often.

Can't wait to see what kind of mileage that Colorado with 4 cyl Duramax put out. Crappy mileage is the main thing that kept me away from pickups.

OP, I did some towing with my wife's former Tahoe with the 5.3L. Not a lot because I normally use my truck, but I'm sure I've towed 5000 lb + with the Tahoe and it very capably handled it.

That's the only SUV towing experience I have personally. However I know several people towing rather large campers with Tahoes, Grand Cherokees and Ford Explorers. They seem confidant with the abilities. I'm sure you can find an SUV to handle towing such a modest weight.

A fullsize will get right around the same mileage as the smaller s-10's, rangers, etc anymore. You could get a 2005-2008 crew cab dodge and be 3-4 mpg lower than my 4 cyl/5spd 90's s10 but have twice the truck.

As far as the small diesel truck market springing up, I'd take my time in buying one. Stuff is crazy expensive on them at the moment and if they don't become popular, stuff will be discontinued and overpriced in no time. Oil filter was 50 dollars I think for a friends diesel Cherokee.

Thanks for the replies...

If I were to go for a truck it would be mid sized if for no other reason besides parking. :D I would prefer an SUV without buying an Excursion size vehicle.
Usually it is just me and my wife, but sometimes 4. With the boat and all of our tent camping gear, my rogue is over the gvwr.
I drive 1000 miles a month to and from work. Would definitely consider swapping cars with wife part time to save on gas.
I don't have any real brand loyalty, it is who will give me the best deal on what I want. Explorer, Santa Fe, Canyon and Tacoma are at the top of my list right now. 4WD/AWD is a must.

I think the LA law on brakes is 3000# by the way.

I had a Dodge Nitro (same thing as the Jeep Liberty). Fit 4 adults comfortably and could tow #3500 (5000 with transmission cooler). 22 mpg highway. I would still have it for the boat towing but be bought a toy hauler so I needed a half ton.

Squiggy, our family picked up a 2009 Mazda cx-9 last June after my Mercury Mountaineer was totaled. I was t-boned in an intersection by a red light runner. :evil: The Mazda has a towing capacity of 3500# and had all kinds of power with the 3.7 It pulls just as good as the Mercury did with a v8. We needed another 7 passenger vehicle and have been really happy with the cx-9. We bought it with 87,000 miles and are now at 106,000. I have pulled our 20' pontoon with it and it does great, even up hills.