stick steer? Yay or nay

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR.223

Reaction score
tosing around the idea or converting my boat to stick steer. I've personally never been in or around one but seems like it would be a good idea. I like to hear from someone that has ran one. the pros and cons.

I love mine once me and the wife get in the boat we never have to move to get from place to plave

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429273710697.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429273710697.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 919
I see a lot on the Suwannee/SantaFe rivers and they are very cool rigs. I definitely would consider one for river, creek and protected waters if that was my primary use. I run primarily the 2,900 acre lake my fishcamp is on, St Johns river and Lake George and I would lose my fillings bouncing around up front when it gets rough. I can stand behind my console and drive when it's rough. Much better than being stuck up front sitting.

I haven't been in one myself, but the idea has always appealed to me. it would be nice to pull up the bow mount trolling motor, start the engine and move to another spot, all without hopping in and out of different seats
I like this g3 version

Attachments

• 1436SKST3-640x295.jpg
    1436SKST3-640x295.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 911
Never owned one but fished out of a few and they are so nice. As stated, it is wonderful to get in the boat and just fish. No up and down and back and forth and all that nonsense. If I had the money/time I'd have a stick steer set up.

thanks guys, i like to run sometimes on creeks off the Mississippi. I love the idea of geting in and staying put.

I had one and didn't like the very thing that many here do like. Staying in the front all of the time.

Now, in my case, the stick steer was on a Gheenoe, which is a narrow shallow water skiff. My stick steering confined me to the very front ( a very small place) and I felt cramped into 1/4 of my boat all of the time. In a wider, longer and better-suited craft, stick steering may be just fine.

I was amazed at how quickly I adjusted to steering with that little stick. Having electric start and trim would be best.

Of all of the configurations that I've had over many years and boats, I still like the center console, on a wide boat, best.

regards, richg99

richg99 said:
I had one and didn't like the very thing that many here do like. Staying in the front all of the time.

Now, in my case, the stick steer was on a Gheenoe, which is a narrow shallow water skiff. My stick steering confined me to the very front ( a very small place) and I felt cramped into 1/4 of my boat all of the time. In a wider, longer and better-suited craft, stick steering may be just fine.

I was amazed at how quickly I adjusted to steering with that little stick. Having electric start and trim would be best.

Of all of the configurations that I've had over many years and boats, I still like the center console, on a wide boat, best.

regards, richg99

thanks,
center console has cross my mind. to me, a 1648 is pushing it to run a side console. I like to go by myself alot and I'm sure you know what happens when a 285 pound guy sets to one side of a boat. ha ha.

Welllllllll..... I'm 250 and own a 1648 Lowe side console. The leaning isn't much, since my trolling motor and it's battery are on the port side.

However, I prefer standing up to sitting down in bigger seas. Actually love the boat. Would change the console if it was easy and coat effective. OK with it now.

richg99

Latest posts