Using vinegar to clean an aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarPony

Reaction score
I have a '58 StarCraft and was wondering if anyone has used white vinegar to clean the tarnish from their boat. I don't want to really sand or polish it if I can avoid it.

Jeff

:WELCOME:

The levels of oxidation on most boats are different..... so it is hard to say just how much
tarnish you have on yours without being there.
Get you a bottle or gallon of white vinegar and start sponging it on the hull
and see how it goes.
I think most consumer type distilled vinegar is 4% acidity.
Try to find some that is a little stronger to lessen your elbow grease.
If the oxidation is really bad, it may take a commercial strength cleaner.
If it goes beyond the vinegar, I personally would suggest OSPHO. available at most paint and hardware stores.
Some people take hydrochloric or muriatic acid that is used to clean concrete and swimming pools
and dilute it WAY down...... trial and error on that part.
your call.

Thanks, Johnny!! It doesn't have that white, powdery crap on it, just staining from sitting in the water for long periods of time. It's raining here so I can't experiment with the vinegar, yet.

Jeff

Try toilet bowl cleaner. WEAR GLOVES.

Its what my grandpa uses to clean antique windows with, for his antique business.

Hydrochloric acid in bathroom cleaners would be too corrosive for me to want to use. If you want to use vinegar, you can try purifying it by cooling since acetic acid has a higher melting point than water.