repair of hull hole.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorte

Reaction score
New poster here. 1962 Lonestar El Dorado. Hole is in bottom of hull from factory marine head. Hole is 1 1/2 inches diameter. I have drilled out 24 rivets and now have 25 holes including big one. I have read lots of ways to fix this. Best is welding but for me that is 200 mi just to see if they will do it. So. I plan to sandwich the hull between two 4 " plates of aluminum through bolted with stainless 3/16" bolts and nyloc nuts filling the middle with 5200. So I am not near any boating supply, and nearest marine dealer is 100mi. Does anyone have any problems with this fix. I know I am asking for it but be gentle. Thanks again. North.

I will be doing the same fix in a day or so. Using closed end pop rivets instead of bolts but everything else will be same.

I thought of using the blind closed end rivets but worry a bit about holding plates tight while riveting. I am using the through bolts because of this. Thank you for the response. North

you can always use bolts to hold the patch tight and then remove them and replace with rivets after the 5200 cures. I've seen a few fixes like that on here; big washers with wingnuts

Latest posts