Good Deal? 1985 Tracker Tournament TX

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsboat

Reaction score
Local dealer has a 1985 Tracker Tournament TX with either a Yamaha 55 (not sure year of motors) or a 70 Evinrude. Yamaha is newer. Price with Yamaha is $2500 and with Evinrude is $2100. He mainly works on engines and says both are good motors. (Schwarzels marine in Hockingport Ohio). Trolling motor is a 24 volt and looks darn near new. 3 battery setup. Has both driving seats and pedestal seats. Rear pedestal base a little loose so will need fixed. On a trailer.

What are your thoughts? Price? I boat on the Ohio but need a fishing boat.

Anything I should be concerned about or look for? I understand this stuff but I am not an experienced fishing boat guy.

Thanks

That sounds like an excellent deal as long as the motor is good shape. Ask him to open the drain screw on the lower unit for a few seconds and make sure the gear oil isn't milky. Also be sure to check forward, reverse and neutral. Taking a test ride is the best bet. Good Luck!

Thank you.

I did a search but didn't find any specific threads on inspecting a boat.

What should I look for specifically?

Thanks again

Take some pictures of the boat and post them. Watch the video in the link above.

Anything wood can rot. You want to make sure that isn't the case. Condition of carpet/vinyl. Hardware such as hinges and latches rusting away, broken etc..

Good video. It sounded like he even mentioned the marina that is selling it - how many Schwarzel marine could there be?

I will get the years on the outboards tomorrow. Hopefully I can get there in two weeks to look some more. I didn't feel any soft wood. Unlike an old glass boat with stringers, I think these have an aluminum truss system under the floor so swapping in new plywood appears easy enough - compared to glassing in new stringers.

Maybe a test ride in two weeks!

John

A little more info. Was used on a 9.9 lake here in Ohio since late 90s. Traded in on a bigger tracker but kept 9.9 (only had 30 hours).

Dealer/engine guy is leaning towards the Yamaha 55, it's a 1990 motor and the 70 horse is a 75 evinrude.

I will take another look in two weekends as I am at kids tournaments all weekend.

Thanks again.

Good Vid. I would have touched on the color of the plugs a bit while he had them out. White electrode/insulator= Too Lean= Danger.

Finished the deal today, traded in a motor and sold a bunch of stuff from a pontoon to dock conversion.

Gassed up, rods rigged, ready to go in the morning!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 941
looks like you went with the Yamaha... Good choice. I like Evinrudes and OMC (I run one myself) however that little price difference the Yamaha was a good buy.... Enjoy that boat!

Latest posts