launching for first time. advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Hoping to take my boat out weekend after next. Next weekend I have a camping trip planned or I'd do it then.

The boat itself hasnt been on the water in about six years. Any suggestions on what to check before leaving dock?
I've ran the motor in a bucket without issue. I have a paddle, bilge pump and bail bucket. I filled the inside up with about an inch of water on the bottom and let it sit and saw no external leaks.

I've never launched a boat by myself, but my dad is coming along, and he grew up around boats. We had a 19' bayliner when I was a kid.

Anything particular to aluminum boats I should know?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Don't forget to put the drain plug in~! Seriously, many a boat all over sink becuase this simple step was forgotten :shock: !

If the OB hasn't been run in a long time, I wouldn't venture too far from a dock or shore just in case it cuts out.

Bring an anchor and cell phone and maybe file a float plan ... tell someone where you are and when you'll be back.

DaleH said:
Don't forget to put the drain plug in~! Seriously, many a boat all over sink becuase this simple step was forgotten :shock: !

If the OB hasn't been run in a long time, I wouldn't venture too far from a dock or shore just in case it cuts out.

Bring an anchor and cell phone and maybe file a float plan ... tell someone where you are and when you'll be back.

I have two plugs! One in and one in the glove box of the boat just in case.

I'll be taking it to east fork lake near cincinnati. I won't be leaving sight of the dock until we've put a good hour on the engine, there will be plenty of other boaters around, and we'll have cell reception.

Thanks!

It helps to write down your pre-launch checklist or put it on your phone ( ie 1. put plug in, 2. remove trailer straps 3. connect fuel line, 4. un-plug trailer lights, etc.....) and actually go thru it at your launching point. Just be courteous of others and do this off to the side, where you are not blocking traffic flow to the ramp. Be completely prepared and have all of your stuff loaded in the boat before you actually move on to the ramp. The objective is to be quick and efficient at public boat ramps so you take a minimum amount of time on the ramp and at the launching pier.

Once you get in to a solid routine you can dispense with the written checklist. THAT'S when you will pull the bone-head move and not understand why you can't get the boat off the trailer because you forgot to take off straps or any of a zillion other boner moves. Don't sweat it, we've All made those kinds of mistakes. :wink:

Most of all try to be relaxed, confidant and just enjoy the fruits of all your hard work.

earl60446 said:
fire extinguisher and life preservers and whistle

Under 14 feet so I dont need an extinguisher, but I have one anyways.
Life preservers, yep.

No whistle , I installed the worlds most obnoxious car horn in the console.

duckfish said:
It helps to write down your pre-launch checklist or put it on your phone ( ie 1. put plug in, 2. remove trailer straps 3. connect fuel line, 4. un-plug trailer lights, etc.....) and actually go thru it at your launching point. Just be courteous of others and do this off to the side, where you are not blocking traffic flow to the ramp. Be completely prepared and have all of your stuff loaded in the boat before you actually move on to the ramp. The objective is to be quick and efficient at public boat ramps so you take a minimum amount of time on the ramp and at the launching pier.

Once you get in to a solid routine you can dispense with the written checklist. THAT'S when you will pull the bone-head move and not understand why you can't get the boat off the trailer because you forgot to take off straps or any of a zillion other boner moves. Don't sweat it, we've All made those kinds of mistakes. :wink:

Most of all try to be relaxed, confidant and just enjoy the fruits of all your hard work.

No checklist is how I ruined the Shepard's pole in my popup camper. Slide the dinette in and forgot to remove the pole.

Life jackets and PLUG! i had a note on my outboard support to remind me after i left it out once. luckily my buddy hadnt pulled all the way off the ramp yet. and i keep a spare with me as the same buddy brought his bought up and when we were launching discovered he left the plug at home. 30 miles from any store and it was 9 pm. i improvised with a styrofoam bobber and a walmart bag.

Don't forget to put the drain plug in~! Seriously,

It doesn't matter how MANY plugs you have, if you forget to put in JUST ONE, lol lol - blub blub blub

Have you seen the show Duck Commander when all those nit-wits launched their boat without a plug in it ??
They been on the water before they could walk, and NONE of them remembered the plug.
AND make sure your lanyard line is securely tied to your boat.
hope you have a SAFE and fun filled day with your dad !!!!!!!!!!

Ask your Dad to, every now and then, pass on his words of wisdom as to the Waterways Etiquette . . .
Learn the Navigational Rules. Never leave a boater that is in distress. Some day it may be you.
Remember what you learn from experience (good or bad).
A whistle goes on each life jacket. As well as a signaling device. (I use DVD disks on a string).
If by chance, your boat turns over, the loudest obnoxious car horn that you can find will not do you any good.
Boating is a BLAST !! BUT, bad things happen to good people. Think of some of the worst case scenarios and
plan accordingly for them. When out boating, think of the "what ifs" . . .
Bottled water and energy bars should always be in your emergency box on every outing.

a very sad note yesterday here in Central Florida. . . . . .
a family in a small boat turned to buck over a wake left from passing a larger boat.
But, the two boats collided.
one adult male and a 9 year old boy was knocked overboard. The boy was lost and drowned.
Even tho the larger boat stopped to lend assistance, it was fruitless.
very horrible accident that COULD HAVE been avoided.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/boy-knocked-off-boat-in-st-johns-river-remains-missing/32460416

LIFE JACKETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no worries about the drain plug.

My mom swamped our bayliner in dale hollow because she forgot the plug. Its a running family joke that I plan to not be included in.

Absolutely be sure you have:
Life Jackets
Cell Phone
Paddles

As mentioned, filing a float plan is always a good idea as well. A few simple tools, extra spark plugs (I carry an old set and a brand new set just to be extra careful. I have a history with spark plugs, haha), and a good bit of rope are things I like to have. I'd stay close to land, especially if on a river, and maybe choose a time and day when you won't be the only folks out there.

I've got three stories for ya, each in my buddy's grandpa's AlumaWeld fishing boat. First one is the first time I was in that boat. I was a little buzzed and put the drain plug in one of the other holes. Didn't figure it out until after he parked the truck, came back, and got in. Needless to say, we got wet. Second one was we got to the far back side of a lake and the motor wasn't running well. Thought it was old gas or just needed to warm up. Had to run the motor on starting fluid to get back. Last one was we were looking for a place to duck hunt on a river, so we were pretty much alone. Ran out of gas about 100 yards downstream from the boat launch. Luckily, due to our previous issues with the boat, we kept close to the shore. We were able to get over to the shore, go to the truck, and get what little we had, which was a shovel, a bow rake, and 4 12' tie down straps that I tied together and used as a rope. Paddled with the shovel and poled with the rake until we got past the trees, then pulled the boat with the straps the rest of the way to the launch.
Plenty more near death experiences with that guy, but for some reason we make it out alright. If there's any advice I'd give you, it would be the good old "be prepared" but that doesn't only apply to boating.

I'm not sure if being prepared is your concern or the actual launching? As long as you have all of your initial check list in order you should be fine. Things like remembering the plug and removing your straps. Don't back your trailer down too far ( yes I've seen this happen on occasion) but make sure you are far enough to float the boat off of the trailer. Remember to keep your motor trimmed up until you are sure of your depth and don't pull away until the boat is completely off of the trailer and you are now sure that all of the straps have indeed been removed. When I unload by myself I usually just push it off and use a rope to pull it to the dock. Of course my boat is small enogh for this. It's a 16' bass tracker. I load it similarly. Pull it on and use the winch to crank it up snug. When driving onto the trailer it will be essential to have to trailer far enough in the water. This will take some practice, but with time it will become second nature. Always use your winch to snug up the boat and attach your safety if you have on. Don't attach anything else until you pull up and away from the ramp. The makes the transaction quicker for other boaters and let you boat settle in the right position on the trailer. That is all I have for you. Good luck and if I forgot anything I'm sure the guys on here will fill you in.

Life Jackets, Whistle, Drain Plug, Paddle, First Aid Kit, Boat & Motor Registration, Small Tool Box, Spare Spark Plugs, Rope & Anchor, Fishing License, Wide Brim Hat, Cooler with Drinks, Bug Spray and Fishing Gear.

Another thing on Life Jackets. If it has been a while since you have been on a boat, wear it. It is best to wear it anyway. You may be the safest boater out there but the boat that runs over your boat while you are anchored will cancel all your safety out. I tied a whistle to my life jackets.

Go upriver so if the engine dies you can always float back to the ramp.

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Don't forget to put the drain plug in~! Seriously,

It doesn't matter how MANY plugs you have, if you forget to put in JUST ONE, lol lol - blub blub blub

Have you seen the show Duck Commander when all those nit-wits launched their boat without a plug in it ??
They been on the water before they could walk, and NONE of them remembered the plug.
AND make sure your lanyard line is securely tied to your boat.
hope you have a SAFE and fun filled day with your dad !!!!!!!!!!

Ask your Dad to, every now and then, pass on his words of wisdom as to the Waterways Etiquette . . .
Learn the Navigational Rules. Never leave a boater that is in distress. Some day it may be you.
Remember what you learn from experience (good or bad).
A whistle goes on each life jacket. As well as a signaling device. (I use DVD disks on a string).
If by chance, your boat turns over, the loudest obnoxious car horn that you can find will not do you any good.
Boating is a BLAST !! BUT, bad things happen to good people. Think of some of the worst case scenarios and
plan accordingly for them. When out boating, think of the "what ifs" . . .
Bottled water and energy bars should always be in your emergency box on every outing.

a very sad note yesterday here in Central Florida. . . . . .
a family in a small boat turned to buck over a wake left from passing a larger boat.
But, the two boats collided.
one adult male and a 9 year old boy was knocked overboard. The boy was lost and drowned.
Even tho the larger boat stopped to lend assistance, it was fruitless.
very horrible accident that COULD HAVE been avoided.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/boy-knocked-off-boat-in-st-johns-river-remains-missing/32460416

LIFE JACKETS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Johnny.

I can't stand that Duck Commander show. Its so fake and scripted. Go look up pictures of those guys before they were on the show. Bunch of white bread yuppies in disguise, is what they are.

Good point on the whistles. I'll attach one to each of our life jackets. I found a dozen plastic "coach" style whistles on amazon for $6. I'll attach one to each of our life jackets, and give the rest to the kids to annoy us with.

Like I said, when I was growing up, from about age 6 to 14 we had a 19' I/O Bayliner with a 4 banger Volvo Penta. Fun little boat. We'd go to Dale Hollow for a week every summer. My dad grew up with his parents owning a 35' cabin cruiser on the Ohio River.

The boat is gone, my grandpa sold it and he heard not too long afterwards it was wrecked. He fixed it up in his backyard about 30 miles from the river. The original motors in it were ruined when he got it, and he had no way to get rid of them. Back then he said scrap metal wasn't worth anything like it is now, so they just dug a hole and buried the old engines in the backyard. :lol:

My dad gave me this about 10 years ago, its hung up in my office. Its the glovebox door from the boat, with a couple of pics of it.

qE2iBco.jpg

I live in Ohio, and was born in '85, so I had to take the Ohio Boaters safety course, in order to be legal to drive the boat. Took me 3 hours, weekend before last, on boatus.com's website. I failed 2 sections twice, they make the questions really tricky and kinda backwards sometimes. Anyways, passed it! So I know all the rules of the road.

And yeah, I can remember when I was a kid, and my dad would always stop and help anyone that was broke down. We towed so many jetskis back to the dock.

When I was in college, I restored a 1975 Honda CB750 SuperSport motorcyle. I'd always wave at every other guy on a bike I saw on the road, and it always rubbed me the wrong way when some Harley guys wouldn't wave back. But I've always assumed motorcycling was the same as boating. If you see another one broke down, you stop and help, because you pray that if you were in that situation they'd do the same for you.

And no worries on the life jackets. 4 brand new Bass Pro brand jackets.

cool - you are good to go.

one last thing - that supersedes and over rides everything else.
Enjoy the Father and Son day - listen to what he has to say.
When I was 30 years old, I was young and cocky towards my father.
Sure, we loved one another, but, for some reason I always had to outdo him
and show him up ..... he had a 18' cruiser, I got a 20' Bay Boat.
He got a 24' pontoon boat, I got a 30' Chris Craft sedan cruiser.
he passed away when I was 32.
There is no way I can recover or change the years that I was just plain stupid
and arrogant and disrespectful (at times) towards my father.

Just listen to what your Dad has to say. Respond with yes sir - no sir. and enjoy the day.

to have your Dad in YOUR boat is a Blessing - treat it that way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Barefoot_Johnny said:
cool - you are good to go.

one last thing - that supersedes and over rides everything else.
Enjoy the Father and Son day - listen to what he has to say.
When I was 30 years old, I was young and cocky towards my father.
Sure, we loved one another, but, for some reason I always had to outdo him
and show him up ..... he had a 18' cruiser, I got a 20' Bay Boat.
He got a 24' pontoon boat, I got a 30' Chris Craft sedan cruiser.
he passed away when I was 32.
There is no way I can recover or change the years that I was just plain stupid
and arrogant and disrespectful (at times) towards my father.

Just listen to what your Dad has to say. Respond with yes sir - no sir. and enjoy the day.

to have your Dad in YOUR boat is a Blessing - treat it that way.

Fair Winds and Following Seas

I appreciate the sentiment.

We try to get together and go fishing pretty often. He's down on his luck right now. Fixed his drinking problem, but trying to fix the DUIs it caused him. Working on getting his license back.
I have him over pretty often, he'll stay the night and then we'll get up early and go fishing.

This is what I caught on our last trip. 25 1-1.5lb bluegill and 2 crappie. He caught about a dozen nice sized bass.

hCXTHWg.jpg

He enjoys bass, I'm more of a panfish fan. I like to eat what I catch, and crappie and bluegill taste a lot better.

Latest posts