Motor for an 10' Jon....15hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiskeyJaR

Reaction score
I have an old 10' Jon that I had thought a buddy and me where gonna marry it to a "jet ski", anyhoos, said buddy has left the country due to work and now I have me an extra boat, and no project. Was wondering what folks thought the biggest prop motor would be safe? I have an 12' Jon with an 15hp, think that would work on the 10' Jonny too? The boat's ID plate is faded to point can not read "suggested motor size".
Looking to run the local small mountain lakes, nothing big.

In my experience I think 15hp may be over the rating for this boat. If I had to guess I would say 10hp max. Maybe even less. I have seen 10ft jons with 5 max. 15 is overkill and may even be scary dangerous. What is the manufacturer and hull ID number? It should be on the title. As an example, a 1983 10ft Alumacraft is rated for 3hp! A brand ne Lowe 10ft jon is rated at3.5.

15 is likely way too much. I have an Evinrude 15 on my 1232 Jon and I have flipped it at not even half throttle. Listed max for that one (Alumacraft) is 7hp. My old 10' Gamefisher (Sears) jon came as a package with a 1.5. I'd say anything over 9.9 would be overkill, but I'd probably do a 9.9 because I always like to have more than I could ever need

I have a 25hp motor on a 1436 jon that is probably rated for a 15hp motor. Give it a try.

Go to a place that sells 10' jons and look at the capacity plate for a boat that is the same as yours and see what it says. We used to run a 15 on a 10 and it was pretty touchy to say the least but, we were crazy anyway. My 1448 is rated for 35. :shock:

I guess I should say that my previous post is conditional. I flipped my 1232 easily with a 15, but you might be more comfortable than I would putting that much on a 10', especially if it's wider. If it were me, given my little experience I wouldn't put that much on a 1032 in theory. But if I already had the boat and motor, I would definitely at least try it.

I'd say go for it. But before you do, you might wanna beef up the transom a bit. And add some weight to the front. You, and the weight of the outboard will dangerously destabilize the boat.

Sorry people but I think it is very irresponsible to tell someone to risk serious damage and injury by grossly exceeding a horsepower limit. It's just not smart and not worth the risk. I don't understand what you are thinking.

Leave the whiskey at the dock Ja. :)
har...I chuckled :p) "cept then either me or the motor would be outa fuel.... hah.

Does 2 ft more length really make that much difference? I run me 15hp on me 12ft jonny with no troubles, when/if I put it on the 10 footer, Ill make sure to take pics.

I left this little snippet on another post of a similar question . . . .

In Weeki Wachee Springs, Florida - they have boat shows to entertain the visitors.
I remember this clown in a bathtub, complete with shower that had an outboard motor on it
amusing the crowd with his antics - then, another clown on a kitchen table turned upside down
also with a motor on it. LOL funny to watch.
So, with that being understood, you can put an outboard on just about anything.
Safely ????? LOL LOL probably not, but is fun to watch from shore.
How far can you swim ??
YOUR CALL !!!

1232 Crestliner Capacity Tag
capacity plate.jpg

G3 1032 I just sold because it was WAY too tipsy for me
G3 Capacity tag.JPG

So, IF you do make the decision to go to a larger 10-15hp motor, and it turns bad,
and someone besides yourself is hurt, you COULD face some pretty harsh issues
from the legal standpoint. Because you KNEW the law and you chose to ignore it
and you put yourself and perhaps others at risk.
Jus my dos centavos

Latest posts