50a circuit breaker help (trolling motor)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
I am running #6 wire from my battery to the trolling motor. I recently purchased a circuit breaker for the trolling motor.
The problem I am running in to, is that the wire connector is a lot bigger than the studs on the circuit breaker.
How do I mount the wire to the breaker? anyone have any suggestions?

Here is the breaker I have: https://www.iboats.com/Circuit-Breaker-Sea-Dog-Line/dm/cart_id.149633864--session_id.574522486--view_id.1186486

You'll have to find ring terminals that are small enough to fit. That's the only RIGHT way to do it. I suppose you could find a washer of appropriate size too.

But the connectors that are on the #6 wire touch each other when placed on the breaker. I need a way to separate them, but not sure how

mbweimar said:
You'll have to find ring terminals that are small enough to fit. That's the only RIGHT way to do it. I suppose you could find a washer of appropriate size too.
+1

Could you post a pic to give us a better idea of what you're working with?

I have a pretty good idea, but just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Ohhhhhhh, I missed something. Let's start over.

The circuit breaker you have will work, but not if you're connecting 6 gauge wire to it. Those circuit breakers are not designed for such large wire. In the link below you will find the standard for circuit breakers and large wire. The studs are much larger and are designed to connect large ring terminals like RivRrunR suggested. These ring terminals can be found at Lowes and Home Depot, but will be expensive and you might have to buy a whole bag of them.

My suggestion is to go with circuit breaker in my link. There are many different brands out there so I'm sure one can be had cheaper than $40. But it will allow you to connect the 6 gauge wire, plus it is resetable, and has mounting holes so it can be mounted to a flat surface. Also, I like to go to Ace hardware to buy electrical connectors. They have a huge selection and you can buy them individually. Look for one near you, or any place that sells them individually.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MKR-19-CIRCUIT-BREAKER/

would you trust this brand? the only problem is that I can't find a 50a breaker. they are all 60a. according to my trolling motor guide, it says i need a 50a.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301211402606?lpid=82&chn=ps

There's several on Amazon, just search on "50 amp marine circuit breaker."
I went with a Blue Sea Systems breaker, a little pricey, but they are good quality.
I prefer the manual reset type because I want to know that it's tripped, not just have it continue to reset.

RivRrunR nailed it again. Get one that is manual reset. If you do get a short somewhere you want it to trip and stay open rather than sit there and cycle open and closed the whole time.

I would prefer going with one of the name brands. They tend to be better quality. Blue Sea Systems being top of the line. I have personal experience with Stinger. The thing I like about these is there are no ring terminals, and you can load those holes up with dielectric grease, put the cover on,and forget about it. A word of caution with any of these larger circuit breakers: DONT TIGHTEN THEM DOWN TOO TIGHT! The mounting holes are very fragile and will break off if you drive a screw or bolt down too tight. I've done this at least 100 times.

Here's a cheaper one, and still good quality. I have personal experience with these. Never had a problem with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP90501-Resettable-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B007A2EQZG

I used the same cheap type breaker for 5 + years, never a problem. Took a short piece of copper pipe, pounded it flat, drilled a couple holes(to fit on battery terminal and breaker). On my wire attached the lug, like mentioned above. I did buy a new style breaker but only because I found it cheap on eBay, not installed yet... Currently using an an automotive fuse, they have the copper factory attached.

crankbait09 said:
I am running #6 wire from my battery to the trolling motor. I recently purchased a circuit breaker for the trolling motor.
The problem I am running in to, is that the wire connector is a lot bigger than the studs on the circuit breaker.
How do I mount the wire to the breaker? anyone have any suggestions?

Here is the breaker I have: https://www.iboats.com/Circuit-Breaker-Sea-Dog-Line/dm/cart_id.149633864--session_id.574522486--view_id.1186486

I use something that a local ATV dealer does when they install a winch. It's basically 2 strips of aluminum with a few holes in them. One strip is attached to the stud on the battery via the large hole of one strip. Next they use the small holes (one on each strip of aluminum) to attach the studs of a CB. Then they attached the ring terminal to the large hole of the other strip. In my case I have 2 CB's. One is in use by being attached to both strips, while the other CB only has one stud attached to one strip. This serves as a backup/spare that is easily rotated into position if my CB pops while I'm out fishing. That way I don't lose a days fishing if my CB goes bad while I'm out on the water. The green outline represents the CB's and where they are positioned.

CBsetup.jpg

Latest posts