Transom saver on a 14' jon with 6hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassmanET

Reaction score
Are transom saver necessary with small boat such mine?

Tracker 1436 with a Johnson 6hp?

Am I risking damage to my boat?

If it's not an old boat, and the transom is in good condition, I see no need for such a device.

CMOS

I use one, and would use one on any size outboard.

I'd put one on, cheap insurance.

With that small a motor you probably don't need one if the transom is in good condition and you have enough skeg to ground clearance. That said I like the extra piece of mind I have by using one.

Yes, boat is was bought new.

I did add some 3/4" plywood on the outside of the boat where the motor mounts to. Tracker toppers in my opinion have a thin transom.

Maybe I'll build something to support the motor ?

When I rebuilt my transom I just built a small beam that runs from the transom to the back seat and is drilled in place. I did this so when driving, even though my motor is a small 3hp that weighs 35lbs, I still know there is no chance of the flexing in the transom. Cheap, permanent, and it prevents any flex while boating too.

I just put a piece of 2x4 under the motor when it is tilted up and then strap it down using the handles on the transom. Yamaha actually recommends doing that instead of a transom saver. it prevents the motor from bouncing up and down and gives me enough clearance too.

edit;
Not instead of but in place of if you don't have a transom saver.

momule said:
With a little motor like that I'd just take it off and put it in the tow vehicle. Problem solved.

When I was sailing, many years ago, my 20 footer had a 5 hp Mariner on it for getting in and out of the slip. I removed it when towing as others have said.

momule said:
With a little motor like that I'd just take it off and put it in the tow vehicle. Problem solved.

Yup - otherwise you still have a 70lb mass bouncing back and forth with leverage on your transom while towing. Aluminum does not hold up over time to those types of stress.

I'd also take it off. If not then yes get a transome saver. Those little engines wip around more than the big ones and it will crack your transom.