Pressure treated lumber questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pymybob

Reaction score
So, I just read that pressure treated lumber is NOT good for aluminum. Glad I read that before starting on my final storage box build! Now, I sanded, tsained and varnished all the pieces. Would that still be bad for the aluminum?

If it won't work, my question is what wood would you recommended for a simple storage box build? Know that it will be stained and spar varnished. It won't be carpeted at this time but maybe later on down the line.

Thanks in advance!

Look for plywood graded ABX, BCX, CDX. The X means it's exterior grade which means it's made with waterproof glue.

Box isn't made yet, just finished the cardboard mock and cutting the wood to construct but I do have this built and ready to go:

I was going to use this to mount my electronics on rather than screw directly into the metal support. It's connected with just two boards and four screws. Two coats of stain and three coats of spar varnish. Seemed to work well in this situation. The storage box in the transom is next once I decide what option to go with the wood now.

yes, in MY world, I see no issues with using what you have.
For a little extra protection, you could put a rubber washer between the board and hull.
When most folks here think of P/T wood on aluminum, it brings to mind full body contact
such as a transom board or floor boards that have more surface area actually touching
the aluminum. THAT is what causes big problems rather quickly.
But what you have, I personally see no problem with it. Your contact areas are minimal.
Cut a piece of rubber or some kind of plastic to insulate the board from the aluminum and
you will be golden.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Cedar and Redwood have a strong acid tannin, which is a natural bug and fungus repellent.
It does not do well directly sandwiched to aluminum.
and, again, this is strictly my "opinion".

Hi Im new to this forum but I have a little experience with wood/aluminum corrosion. My boat has a bare aluminum bottom and the bunks (from the factory) were carpeted pressure treated wood. I started to notice corrosion (looked like pitting from electrolysis) where the boat touched the bunk carpet. I did some reading and found out that the carpet staying wet will transmit the metals in the wood preservative thru it and be contacting the boat hull. It gets even worse if you have batteries on board and if you are putting the boat in salt water. I ended up putting some glide sticks on the bunks which keep the boat off of it, and make it a heck of a lot easier to load and unload. The corrosion has not returned. also.......with the glide sticks keeping the boat off of the carpet, you can rinse the bunks cleaner when you pull out of the water.

Regards
Sonny

UPDATE

Johnny, I took your advice and added vinyl washers between the boards and mounted my electronics this weekend! Just wanted to say thanks again. I'll post pics of it soon.

Good call - not that it would have amounted to much corrosion for the little you were using, but why allow it to happen in the first place.

PT Wood had copper in it and that is why it corrodes the aluminum, it is an electrolysis reaction the same as you would have with any dissimilar metals.

Latest posts