Lowe 1652 VT with console moved fwd and windshield and rail

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL8Jeff

Reaction score
I finally remembered to take my camera with me yesterday. I have the windshield in but I'm still waiting on the console grabrail so I don't want to drill any holes for the windshield until I know how the grabrail will line up with it. I went out for 2 hours around 5pm to run it and make a few casts and sit back and relax. Every time I sit back, a fish jumps near the boat! No bites but it was nice enough to get out in shorts so I'm not complaining. I moved the console forward about 2 feet from where it was so that meant all new cables and wiring. I also relocated the battery under the console to get that weight forward so larger/longer battery cables were needed as well. I got most of the parts off Ebay so it's not brutally expensive. I still think the foam in the rear areas is soaked because it tilts to one side. I might cut open those areas and put hatches on so I can remove the foam if it's bad and then decide what to do with them.

Updated with pictures of the windshield and railing added.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_2.jpg
    Lowe_1652_2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,896
  • Lowe_1652_1.jpg
    Lowe_1652_1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,894
Here are some pictures of it at the dock with the windshield and grabrail. I got them from a guy who lists on Ebay and the grabrail is aluminum and custom made. I think this is the basic Lowe console they sell at AK Mcallum which should fit any 1448, 1548, 1648 pretty easily.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_6.jpg
    Lowe_1652_6.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,796
  • Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,796
  • Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    Lowe_1652_4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,798
  • Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,796
Awesome job on center console! It’s been a good while, how did the forward position worked out?
I love the way my boat is setup now, still room on the front deck for a beach chair and plenty of room in the main floor area as well and it helps get the weight forward. I remember thinking I could have notched the console to get it to partially overlap the front deck but then the battery box probably wouldn't have fit under the console all the way and you would be kicking it all the time.

Forward center consoles are definitely a benefit in jet boats. Many mfgs have gone to that over the further back console with passenger seat in front of it.

Around here, guys who run the Shannondoah and upper Potomac rivers, which are shallow and rocky in many areas, usually have the driver all the way up in the bow, and often use lever steering. The idea is that they can see the obstacles and manuver around them quickly.

Stick steering scares me a little, as it turns INSTANTLY. But guys say you get used to it.

If I added a jet to my 1648 I would have used stick steer. Too narrow for a center console. At 50” bottom width, like Jeff, would have went with center. Looks like he used a narrow one that allows for more room getting around. If you go stand-up, that allows for better visibility than a sitting stick steer.

Latest posts