First post with some general questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Deere

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and relatively new to boating. I picked up a 16' Alum Lund S-16 in the fall (pics attached) and am doing some work to it for the upcoming fishing season and have a couple of questions.

1) Sounds like a simple question, but where are all of you drilling and mounting cleats on these boats? I'd like to have one on each "corner" to tie up with, anchor, etc, but am unsure as to where to mount them?

2) What are the best bets when it comes to storage? Not for anything big, just the battery for the fish finder, extra rope, etc. Is there a way to modify the very front bench into a "locker"?

3) I've picked up some LED nav lights, a fish finder, battery, etc for it, and am generally pretty handy when it comes to installing that kind of stuff. Is there anything I should know about these boats? Any recommendations on things to look out for? Anything I am missing that is a "must do"?

Thank you in advance for the help. There seems to be a lot of great info here, I look forward to learning as much as I can!

Attachments

• 20141020_152551_resized.jpg
    20141020_152551_resized.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 674
  • 20141020_152554_resized_1.jpg
    20141020_152554_resized_1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 674
  • 20141020_152604_resized.jpg
    20141020_152604_resized.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 674
  • 20141020_152609_resized.jpg
    20141020_152609_resized.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 674
Welcome aboard, John Deer.
Nice setup you got there.

You may want to skim over the mod threads.
Lots of good info there.
I'm sure others may chime in to answer your questions though.
Have fun!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

-jasper

FWIW I put my stern cleats on a 45-degree angle, using 4-5" nylon (plastic) or marelon cleats using SS #10 hardware insulated from the aluminum corner piece by adhesive-lined heatshrink on the bolt body and nylon washers under that pieve for the nylok nuts to bear against. No corrosion that way due to dis-similar metals, especially if/when used in a saltwater environment.

Attachments

• Stern Cleat.jpg
    Stern Cleat.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 665
jasper60103 said:
Welcome aboard, John Deer.
Nice setup you got there.

You may want to skim over the mod threads.
Lots of good info there.
I'm sure others may chime in to answer your questions though.
Have fun!

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

-jasper

Thanks! I'll definitely have a look through there

DaleH said:
FWIW I put my stern cleats on a 45-degree angle, using 4-5" nylon (plastic) or marelon cleats using SS #10 hardware insulated from the aluminum corner piece by adhesive-lined heatshrink on the bolt body and nylon washers under that pieve for the nylok nuts to bear against. No corrosion that way due to dis-similar metals, especially if/when used in a saltwater environment.

That look like a good idea for the stern! Where did you mount the cleats at the front?

John Deere said:
DaleH said:
Where did you mount the cleats at the front?
Even on my big toona boat (might have sold :D today!) I just use one cleat up the bow - centered. But of course on my big boat she was a massive SS sampson post!

On tin boats, I have always gone for this arrangement - bow nav light mounted on a wooden base (to protect it from the level of working/pulling from either the bowline or anchor rode), with one or two chocks. On a small V-bow, I once put just one chock on the front, to hold the anchor line away from the light base. It too worked slick!

Use the type of cleats with the 'hollow base' or footprint, where you pass a looped rope through it, then bring up over both ears of the cleat to secure it. If however, you find a good heavy nylon/marelon cleat that has 2 separate feet for attachement, you can simply place your looped bowline around one of the cleats before securing it to the bow deck.

Hope this helps you out!

Attachments

• Bow.png
    Bow.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 625

Latest posts