reasonable time in a shop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
How long after dropping you boat off at the shop for a work "estimate" before you should hear back? Over a week now for an estimate on getting my motor running(carb and fuel pump work) and they haven't even looked at it. Granted I was told 2 weeks but that including doing all necessary repair because they stock pretty Mich all needed parts for my '94 Johnson 25. Should I say something not or wait until the 2 weeks are over (Friday)? I still need to replace the transom, that what is frustrating. I could be working on that now!

Having had my own shop I will say this. If I told a customer that it will be two weeks and I'd have it done, it would be done on that day. But there is NOTHING more frustrating than getting a call before the time I said it would be done. Especially if I said please don't call. But that's just me. If he said it would be done in two weeks and it's been a week, what's the call for? It hasn't been 2 weeks yet. The repairs may only take a day, and he has other jobs that come first.

Jmho.

mrdrh99 said:
How long after dropping you boat off at the shop for a work "estimate" before you should hear back? Over a week now for an estimate on getting my motor running(carb and fuel pump work) and they haven't even looked at it. Granted I was told 2 weeks but that including doing all necessary repair because they stock pretty Mich all needed parts for my '94 Johnson 25. Should I say something not or wait until the 2 weeks are over (Friday)? I still need to replace the transom, that what is frustrating. I could be working on that now!

I know here in Minnesota this would be the absolute worst time to put your boat in the shop. After a long hard winter, everyone wants to get their boats ready for the fishing opener. For some reason they never put them in the shop during the winter months. :LOL2:

I agree with huntinfool. I had a gunsmith shop for 20 years. It happened every year. J. Doe comes in 2 weeks before deer season starts and wants his rifle cleaned and a scope mounted. I have 40 guns in the rack waiting to be worked on. Every minute I spend on the phone or talking to customers takes time away from getting work done. I always tried to get work done in the time I quoted but things happen. This is a busy time of year for marine repair work. Be patient and give them their 2 weeks and then if it isn't done go in and talk to the manager in person.

Sounds good.... I completely understand, I was simply asking! I have never had a boat in the shop before and I'm just itching to get on the water.... As for the comment that the repair may only take a day, very understandable. I'm only irritated because I could have been doing other mods and transom work while waiting.... But that's on me.... I could have done that before hand or even talked to them and asked about this.... I'll check in on Friday which will be the 2 weeks

Latest posts