Fixing holes on top of boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassguytom

Reaction score
I installed a new trolling motor on my boat today. The holes did not line up so I have 4 large holes in the top of my boat. It's a Tracker Tournement V18. I'm not worried about it leaking its on the top of the boat but was wondering the Best aesthetically pleasing way to patch the holes. Any info is appreciated.

personally, I use Bondo !!
with a small ball peen hammer, depress the hole just a little
if you can, put some tape on the back side
bondo it, let it cure, sand it smooth.
Or epoxy, or fiberglass resin, or 3m5200, or Play Dough

If it is not possible to tape the back side,
cut a piece of cardboard, plastic or anything just a little bigger than the hole.
Put a string through the middle of the plug like tying a button.
fold it, pass it through the hole, fix some kind of anchor to hold the plug in place and string out of the way
Bondo the hole as above.
werks fer me - it'll werk fer you

When faced with that same issue in the past....I've mounted the trolling motor onto a separate board, then mounted the board onto the boat, using the existing holes. On the board, I use stainless steel T nuts from the bottom of the new mounting board.

That process gives you a lot more flexibility anytime you are putting a different trolling motor onto an existing mount area and holes.

Your holes are probably bigger than what I dealt with, but JB weld worked great for mine. When I first got my boat the PO had a piece of angle iron screwed to the bow to act as a trolling motor mount. Once removed there was corrosion and holes to deal with. I also removed the stock handles that Tracker installed on my bow. Did the same with those holes as the ones from the angle iron. I'd guess they were 3/16" holes.

After removing the angle iron.
IMAG0524.jpg

Cleaned up and primered. Ready for JB weld.
IMAG0529.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

JB weld applied.
IMAG0575.jpg

Sanded smooth, and then primered.
IMAG0583.jpg

I will say that JB weld is a ROYAL PITA to sand, even with a hand sander. But it turned out nice and not noticeable at all, even after almost 3 years. I've since installed driving lights in that area of my bow without issues from the old holes or JB weld.

Latest posts