How to fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukedog

Reaction score
First just want to say what a great site been looking for awhile now. I recently bought a 14 v hull that was used for duck hunting and im in progress of sanding all the camo paint off. on the bottom back by the transom there was what looked to be and old drain or something but the guy I bought it from had it filled with bedliner so after sanding it it just fell off lol. I need to know how to fix this hole can I use some epoxy and a piece of Aluminum

Attachments

• DSC_2669.JPG
    DSC_2669.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 783
What sort of access do you have to the area? Can you get to that spot as easily on the inside as you can on the outside or is there something blocking you from getting to it?

easy access to top and bottom was just looking at a west product flex something 645 and using a glass matt and their filler product with it. thank you for the response

Get an old road sign, 3M 5200 and some closed end aluminum rivets.
Cut the sign bigger than the damaged area lay it over the hole and drill a hole and place a rivet in it, drill the next hole and place a rivet in it. Do this till you have all the holes drilled then apply the 5200 to the patch and install the rivets.

Just patch it like mentioned above. Except I would use regular solid rivets and just pound them down nice and flat. patch goes on inside by the way.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Get an old road sign, 3M 5200 and some closed end aluminum rivets.
Cut the sign bigger than the damaged area lay it over the hole and drill a hole and place a rivet in it, drill the next hole and place a rivet in it. Do this till you have all the holes drilled then apply the 5200 to the patch and install the rivets.
surfman said:
Just patch it like mentioned above. Except I would use regular solid rivets and just pound them down nice and flat. patch goes on inside by the way.

With taking it to a welder being the first choice, if you can't do that, do what was suggested here. Either rivet option will work.

Zinc chromate or otherwise coat the bare aluminum with a sealant (Steel-Flex, POR-15, etc.) before riveting the patch in place ... or else the 3M 5200 can cause corrosion of the bare aluminum under the patch, as a recent picture from Barefoot Johnny proved ...

I don't think that 3M5200 ....CAUSES.... corrosion. However, their own use materials call for a primer on any metal, before the application of 3m5200.

"Contact a technical Service Engineer for help with these applications.
- When using 3MTM Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 with metals it may be necessary to prime the surface to achieve adequate adhesion and durability of the bond. 3M Metal Primer P592 may be used for priming of most metals."

richg99 said:
I don't think that 3M5200 ....CAUSES.... corrosion. However, their own use materials call for a primer on any metal, before the application of 3m5200.
No, you're probably right :) ... maybe it would have read better, and have been more accurate, to say that bedding material shouldn't be directly placed on bare aluminum. Even rubber, as an insulator, will hold and trap moisture against the skin.

I want to thank everyone for the responses. the bare metal will be primed and their will be a patch riveted over it I think i'll be using flex seal 650 on both top and bottom of the repair again thank you