My Grumman 1455 season 3 mods.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been following this site for years. Each season I add a few more small mods to my Grumman Sea Nymph 1455. I almost exclusively troll with it.

I wanted to post a picture in order to share a few ideas, particularly the corner instrument table, bow mount platform and rod holders.

waterboat.jpg

The corner instrument table was the first thing I added a few season ago. I was never satisfied with having the sonar/mapping units on the rear bench beside me. Not only was it uncomfortable to have my head turning back and forth trying to navigate and eye the screen, but it took up valuable bench space.

Made from a scrap piece of sheet aluminum with a side lip (for strength) I simply bracketed it into the back corner of the middle bench and the sidewall. My switch box is mounted underneath to protect it from extreme weather. There are also 4 12v power sockets and two usb sockets under the table as well.

A 4 speaker stereo is mounted in center of middle bench with 2 speakers in front passenger and 2 mounted on rear of middle bench for pilot. Bluetooth input for streaming from my phone. I actually use it less for music and more for my text-to-voice app. I communicate with a few fishing buddies/boats when out on trips and it makes it easier to just listen to the "chatter" than to get my phone out of my belts holster each text.

I am on a budget, so anytime I can save $$ I am all about it. For instance my mapping system is simply one of my older cell phones (Samsung Note 1) that I no longer use (upgraded) so it is now a dedicated Navionics App platform with a permanent home on my console. (if you are not familiar with the Navionics app you are missing out on the best $10 mapping system ever). Obviously it is not weather proof so it must come off when weather strikes, although I have run it in the rain with a simple sandwich baggie over top. Touch screen still works through bag.

Orange box under rod holder is emergency kit with flag, whistle, mirror and flare.

Rod holder is simple yet incredibly effective. I purchased two different short sized vinyl tubes (about 6" in length). The smaller size is 1/4" inner diameter high pressure air line host and the larger is 1" inner diameter spa hose.

I cut both tubes into 2" segments. I then slice every segment down the middle allowing them to open up like a reluctant clam. I then screw the larger segment into the rear deck and then the smaller segments I mounted to an aluminum bracket which rises 2" off the middle bench.

The rods simply snap into the hoses and are held super snug. Cost of my rod holders...$3 total.

New this season is the rear deck made with 7/16" plywood and sparred. I went with the 7/16 because it will not be supporting any weight, just the carpet and hatches. I lag bolted the seat through the ply and the bench. For extra security I used an aluminum plate on top of the ply and fender washers on underside side of bench when I bolted the seat bracket down. The bench will rip out before that seat comes off.

The best part is the deck actually increased my storage behind rear bench because I can now put more items back there without fear of them bouncing out. Deck also increased my surface area on the top which is nice for putting cooler or tackle box when out all day. Would not have been able to do all that with the old rear bench.

Bow mount bracket is from extra thick scrap aluminum with a lip, fender washers and nuts/bloths holding on to brackets mounted through sidewall. Dedicated bow motor battery box is also supported off the floor by bracketing from the mount. Sturdy as can be and looks good too. Motor base overhangs front a bit but not enough to be a problem.

Other battery is under front bench. PVC pipe carries power line and speaker wire. 12v power socket and USB socket are under bow mount bracket for front passenger use.

Net is being held to sidewall of boat using 2 of the split 1" spa pipe segments. Perfect hold. Easy access. (used to be a pain to unstow net, especially when I waited until after I hooked a fish...no longer a pain)

Fire Extinguisher is away from fuel and easy access from any point in boat. (a lot of people over look that important detail).

Carpet is standard Lowes outdoor. (tight weave style so hooks dont easily snag).

Between floor ribs in pilot area I placed anti-fatigue mats and then carpet over top. I did this to smooth floor as it was difficult to stand with the raised ribs. Now it is easy to stand and less fatigue as a plus.

Again, I am posting this to give others some easy beginner mod ideas. Hope it helps!

Closeup of corner table, instrument panel.
cornertable.jpg

Bow mount bracket and battery box mount.
bowbracket.jpg

Rod Holders using split vinyl tubing.
holders.jpg

Latest posts