Not so great of a maiden voyage today...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
Met my dad at 10am at East Fork Lake to test the boat out this morning.

Get it in, an it floated just fine!

rV83Gtw.jpg

However...couple of things happened.

First, we noticed some water leaking down the inside of the transom.

Guess who forgot to caulk the transom bolts when I put it all back together.

Yep. I'm an idiot. A complete moron. I didn't even think about it until I saw that water running down the back of the boat and then it was like...oh...yeah, that probably would have been a good idea. It was roughly the amount of water as if you took your kitchen faucet and turned it to where it wasn't dripping, but a trickle, and only in one spot.

So my dad suggested we still fire it up and go for a cruise around the dock area, just to see how it handled. Motor fired right up, but bogged under load.

I asked about it over on TheHullTruth -
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/670681-maiden-voyage-woes-issues-my-25-hp-johnson-under-load.html#post7816247
Sounds like I needed to let the motor warm up more, and I need to clean the carb again. Darn.

There are no marinas anywhere near me, so I went to lowes and stared at all the different caulks and did some reading. They did not carry any 3M Products :( and I'd really wanted to use 5200.
I went with a liquid nail version that was an adhesive + caulk and rated for outdoor and cold weather use.

I pulled all of the bolts back out of the transom, filled each hole with caulk, put it back in, torqued it down, and then caulked over the head of the bolt on the outside.
I also put a layer between the plywood and the aluminum on the back of the boat. I think thats where it was getting in before, was it was going past that plywood and then following the shaft of the bolt into the transom.

Tomorrow I'll sand it smooth and repaint.

x9k6cr4.jpg

I just got done putting a new transducer on my boat and could not reuse the old holes. Did I seal them, NO! #-o Plus they went all the way thru the hull, went fishing and was leaking all day. I knew what it was right away. :oops:
Boat floats in spite of me.
Tim

My boat I recently bought on craigslist I took our with my girlfriend and she noticed the same style leaking on the bolts on the transom. Worked to about 5 small cup fulls of water every hour or so. We just used a small water bottle cut in half to scoop her hour. Today I just put duct tape over the bolts to temporarily fix it, spent 9 hours on my boat and not a single drop...

derekdiruz said:
My boat I recently bought on craigslist I took our with my girlfriend and she noticed the same style leaking on the bolts on the transom. Worked to about 5 small cup fulls of water every hour or so. We just used a small water bottle cut in half to scoop her hour. Today I just put duct tape over the bolts to temporarily fix it, spent 9 hours on my boat and not a single drop...

derekdiruz
Red Green would be proud of You :!: :!:

Steve A W

I had a 16' row boat that leaked like hell for years. About 3 or 4 gallons an hour. I'd get up to speed and pull the drain plug to empty. Then I found this site. I covered all rivets and seams with gluvit then painted it. Still leaked. Found out I had a quarter sized hole in the hull underneath the strake that was riveted on the side of the hull. It was under the rear seat on the side I sat on and I never saw it until I replaced the seats. I guess with my weight on that side whenever I'd turn right that strake Orr splash rail would dip below the water line and dump water in. (I almost always trolled following a path like a NASCAR track but turning right.) It's fixed now.

Latest posts