2.2 hp Mercury two cycle. What size tinny?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I picked up a 2.2 Merc two years ago. Finally hauled it out and added a new spark plug and new gas. Started on the second pull.

Now that I have this gem, I am wondering what size tinny it would push well. Does anyone have such a small motor, and if, so, what boat do you have it on?

I"m a big guy at 250 lbs., but will most likely never have anyone other than me out fishing.

richg99

good job!! whatever you find, make sure it is OVER 36" bottom. (IMO)
I am 180# and I had a 1032 and that thing was just not stable for "me". Sold it 3 days later.
But, I have seen and heard of bigger fellas in them with no issues at all. (just a personal choice).
Bear in mind, 250# all the back in the stern of a 10' boat leaves you little freeboard
that could very well possibly swamp you in less than a heartbeat.
That is just my experience - wishing you well and SAFE boating.
Are you thinking about a electric motor on the boat also ?? so if the gas motor dies,
you have some way besides the paddle to get back to your landing.

This tag is from that 1032 I had the issue with. Notice the maximum weight just for people.
But, I know that each manufacturer has its own safe capacity limits and endorsed by the USCG.
275# max everything (in this boat) leaves you with only 25# before you are considered "over loaded".
G3 Capacity tag.JPG

After I sold that one, I found a 1236 flat bottom with a "V" nose that I like much better.
But, I know my swimming capabilities and will never venture out in the water past that point [in a small Jon boat].

Rich, this note is for what NOT to get (1032) - LOL - am sure you will find something in the 12-14' range
that might work for you, if the wind is not too strong. Just depends on how fast you want to go.

It's not going to push anything "well". LoL My nephew had the equivalent in a Rude on a 12/36 semi v hull and it would push me around the pond about 4 mph. But on the bright side of that, I believe it would do that all day long for a quart of gas. LoL

oh no Rich - don't sell it !!
it will make a very nice emergency spare tucked away in your BIG boat.
I know that if I ever find one like that for a good price that is dependable,
I will MAKE ROOM for it to be stored in my bass boat.
Trolling motor batteries only last so long before you have to break out the
paddles (or lucky enough to be towed to shore).

I remember a past post on here recently, probably in the motors or electrical forum
about the equivalence of small outboards to trolling motor thrust.
I think I remember that a 2.5 to 3hp outboard will match a 40-50 pound thrust trolling motor.
Of course this has so many variables involved there is probably no "standard" conversion table.

maybe other members can shed some light on this one.

Johnny

Latest posts