Aerator pump hard to prime

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R5B4

Reaction score
First off I have a 2005 Fisher Blind Duck 1754 SC which I recently purchased and the previous owner stated he did not use the livewell. The livewell is just in front of the console. The problem I am having is that the aerator fills the livewell very sporatic, Hit or miss. If it starts to pump water, it will continue to pump until it is turned off. Next time when you turn on the switch you can here it hummin put not pumping water. I figured that maybe the aerator was worn so I bought and replaced the cartridge (Mayfair 500 Aerator). Like I said sometimes it works and most of the time it does not. The intake is below the water line. I have read that some people say they run their boat in reverse to prime the aerator. I have tried that and it also is hit or miss. I read somewhere that the hose could create a vapor lock but did not understand it. I know the hose is not pluged as sometimes it works and fills the livewell. Been thinking of replacing the hose, really do not know why as when it works there are no leaks but just another thing that might work and as seen in picture the hose has a narrowing ar the livewell connection.

Does anyone know if the factory installed hose can just be pulled out of the corragated tubing that is around it or would you have to take the boat apart (remove rivets) to replace the tubing? What type of tubing would you use or is a specific aerator tubing?

Is there something else I can do to correct this problem. I already am using a gallon pitcher to fill livewell if it does not work when I catch fish, but I would rather use the aerator to fill and keep my fish alive.

Thanks in advance, I have tried to search this board as well as others but could not find any answers, if I missed a post, sorry.
livewell aerator c.JPGLivewell connection.JPG

The boat I bought a few months ago was severely neglected.
It leaked quite a bit - the bilge pump hardly stayed ahead of the leaks.
Upon removing the bilge pump and hose, I found the hose was cracked
and was pumping 50% (only a guess) back into the bilge.
The live well pump was totally kinked and blocked.

So, to explore the possibilities of your problem......
pump is sucking air somehow (which is very doubtful)
impeller is worn, or has trash in it that you can't see
possible blockage between pump and live well
bent or kinked tubing somewhere you can't see.

basically, remove everything, test your pump, clean it out/replace it, and start from scratch.

Jus my dos centavos and :WELCOME: to the Big Pond

and yes, it is very common and frustrating to take parts off of your boat to trace down
inefficient wiring and plumbing. It just comes with boating !!!

Thanks. The collasping hose is a posibility. But as long as it is not on the intake side would it make a difference?

As I said previously, I was thinking of replacing the hose. However I do not want get part way through the process and find out I am over my head. I see how to get the aerator out and I know I can disconnect the hose from both ends.
Once I do that should the hose just pull out?
Then should I be able to just pass the new hose through the existing hole/corrigated tubing that surrounds the current hose?
Also what type of hose should I get for a replacement? I see a thin type in bass pro and cabelas catologs but that sure looks flimsy.

One final though. Even though the pictures I have included
does not show, the pump is at a slight angle. I see that johnson/mayfair has a wedge that can be placed on the intake tube to make it straight with the bottom of the boat. First do you think this slight angle could create the problem I am having? and if I can not get it flat which angle would be best from the transom angling up to pump or angling down to pump?

If I can get out the hose, I think I am going to replace the pump and tubing. Another question is johnson makes both a 500 and a 750 GPH pump. I know that the 500 gph is plenty enough water volume for my needs but with the extra capacity would the 750 gph have more ability to pump water an overcome any air lock problem. Thanks

Latest posts