Drainage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18220

Reaction score
Working on a 57 Aerocraft J. I have a question. When decking or putting floors in your V-hull boats do you worry weather any water that may accumulate won't drain out properly? It seems that the ribs installed in the bottom of the boat do not allow for complete drainage. I am so sorry but at this time I am unable to do digital pictures.

Yes you should be concerned about drainage. When I replaced the foam in my boat, I sawed checkerboard pattern groves in the bottom side of the bottom piece of foam to aid in drainage and air circulation to help keep it dry. There are pics showing what I did in my build thread linked in my signature.

I am concerned. Very. But unlike a jon this v-hull has no water channels under the ribs. Has anyone done anything to help get rid of the water trapped behind the ribs.

the 1959 Crestliner V-hull that I have has the full length ribs also.
but, in the center, there is about 1/8" gap for water drainage.

If your boat has several layers of paint, perhaps these drain places may have
been closed up with paint ????
check closely with a small knife or screwdriver.
if you do have those drains, they are very easily blocked with the smallest leaves, etc.
if you do have them, get them unclogged by whatever means works; paint remover, etc.
then, be careful not to park your boat where it can accumulate dirt, leaves, trash, etc.
until you get your deck engineered to have adequate drainage.

Plan "B" would be to build your deck accordingly to allow ventilation as well as water drainage
and when you park it, put the tongue up as high as you SAFELY can . . . .
a serious thought would be to put a float activated bilge pump in the bow for hard pouring down
rain, should you ever encounter one. And, bilge pump in the back also - - -
Plan "C" is to get a waterproof cover for it when parked.

I never decked my Crestliner. I just tolerated the very small amount of water that gets
trapped between the ribs as some of the drains were painted shut.

Thanks. Doesn't appear to have gaps, but at least 2 layers of paint. I think that may be the issue.
Bilge pump is great idea.

Latest posts