Why the use of "foam" under deck of a project boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Help me understand something: I see so many projects that entail people adding "foam" when they build an elevated wood deck. I don't understand the need to for this foam. Unless I forgot everything abut basic physics, it's the hull displacement that floats the boat, so why the need for this foam? Sound dampening? :?:

Thanks for any comments.

CMOS

Sound dampening is a major benefit of adding foam. You can also add foam as a support mechanism for use with thinner ply/alum for decking, thus adding less weight to your watercraft.

However, the primary purpose would be in the extreme case of capsizing or taking on too much water the foam would keep your boat afloat enough for you to hang on to it until rescued. That and your boat won't be at the bottom of the lake.

Sound deadening, emergency flotation (decking, swivel seats, TM and batteries adds a lot of weight), replacing foam removed from other areas

I used it mainly as support for thin decking materials to save on weight, but it did wonders to stiffen the hull (I used expanding urethane foam) and to deaden the sound of my 3 yr old playing around on the boat.

There are plenty of miss guided people even on here that think it somehow magically adds buoyancy somehow by virtue of being in the boat - it doesn't - it adds weight and takes away from the buoyancy ever so slightly...but that's ok, someone had to vote for Obama...

onthewater102 said:
Sound deadening, emergency flotation (decking, swivel seats, TM and batteries adds a lot of weight), replacing foam removed from other areas

I used it mainly as support for thin decking materials to save on weight, but it did wonders to stiffen the hull (I used expanding urethane foam) and to deaden the sound of my 3 yr old playing around on the boat.

There are plenty of miss guided people even on here that think it somehow magically adds buoyancy somehow by virtue of being in the boat - it doesn't - it adds weight and takes away from the buoyancy ever so slightly...but that's ok, someone had to vote for Obama...

Awesome response on ALL points. :wink:

CMOS

Latest posts