is this corrosion?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Finally got the transom pulled on my 1470 landau. Per usual the wood was crumbling and rotted. Once pulling it the aluminum was awful looking (to me). Here are a couple pics. Do you guys think I'll be fine to put the new wood in and go with it?

Attachments

• IMG_20150505_153724012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150505_153724012_HDR.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_20150505_153731803_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150505_153731803_HDR.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_20150505_190426195.jpg
    IMG_20150505_190426195.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_20150505_152206196.jpg
    IMG_20150505_152206196.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,128
Care to shed a bit of light on the chemical treatment part?

I'm reading about scrubbing with vinegar? I understand the aluminum primer and paint part.

Thanks Johnny... I was just reading up on it, a couple of your own responses actually.. You've been a lot of help!

MAN!! That rotted wood brings back memories. I had the same mess last year, that you are having now. Don't worry about the aluminium. I had the same issue and it is easy to tackle. Barefoot_Johnny has it right. Check out my project link below in my signature. You'll see the same thing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Easiest and best way to clean it is to get a SS wire wheel from Grainger to fit in your drill, it will make quick work of it and do a much better job removing all of it. Then you will need to prime it with a good quality primer, then a good paint job to follow. If there are holes through the metal you can patch them using something like JB weld for small holes. Replace the wood with a good quality exterior grade plywood, not PT. Be sure to seal the wood with epoxy or a good quality varnish, If you epoxy you will need to varnish it anyway since the epoxy gets dull and chalky from sun exposure. The phosphoric acid cleaner is available at your local hardware store in the pain dept.

OK, cleaned with vinegar AND wire wheeled the whole thing.... Nice and shiny! Now.... The pitting was a bit more extensive than I thought. A couple spots went all the way through. I intend to jb weld those spots. But what about where it's pitted but not all the way through. Should I skim those spots with jb weld also? Should it be done before or after priming?

Attachments

• IMG_20150506_140355768.jpg
    IMG_20150506_140355768.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_20150506_140406517.jpg
    IMG_20150506_140406517.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,086
How many are all the way through? If just a couple prime w/ self etching primer then use 3M 4200 or 5200 on the holes.

If lots of holes and picture is representative of corrosion elsewhere you should consider reskinning the transom w/ new aluminum.

No... There are only 2 spots where it is all the way through.... You're also seeing holes from rivets in these pics

The pitting was a bit more extensive than I thought
LOL it always IS !!
WELCOME to the wonderful world of BOATING !!! Ain't it just FUN ??

that is why we recommend the wire brushing and chemical clean.
Just those simple steps can show you a lot about the condition of your hull.

put on your PFD and ENJOY THE RIDE !!

Yep, but I'm so glad I did it... Would much rather know and fix it now instead of band aid it and have to deal with something much worse later!

FWIW the hull on the tinny I'm currently refurbishing looks like that, but the corrosion was from saltwater.In dissecting some of the holes, I could see 3 layers in the 0.090" thick aluminum, aluminum on inside and outside and white or pink powder in-between. Took some close-up pictures, then cut into them with a Dremel.

In some spots the carbide burr when right through like going through tissue paper :shock: ! In a few more, I was able to trim back under all I saw was what appeared to be a solid layer of aluminum. But ... I showed the pictures to a PhD metallurgist friend and he said the white was a chloride layer precipitating through the aluminum along the inter-granular grain boundaries ... in other words - the entire transom skin is toast! He opined that it is a cancer that cannot be healed, that once the chloride chemical reaction is within the tin, it is self-propagating.

So ... I am in the process of de-riveting my boat, then will flatten out the stern piece, add a few drilled holes to allow for matching, and then will rivet in a new piece made from a sheet of 5052-34.

Fun, fun ... not ... but at least a good learning experience!

I don't know much about aluminum thickness or layers. I'm fairly sure mine it one layer.... Nothing that I see makes me think otherwise. I'm not the most knowledgeable on this matter but I feel that once I'm done with my repairs I'll be fine. I wire wheeled it until all of the gunk was gone... Pressure washed it, and then wire wheeled it again, the pressure washing allowed me to see spots that were missed. A second washing and I was satisfied. I have since applied 3 coats of self etching primer. Will jb weld the pitted holes and spots where it seems to have gone at least 1/3 through. Then another primer coat then a couple coats of paint before putting the wood in. Here are a couple pics... Believe it or not all but 2 of these holes are rivet holes.

Attachments

• IMG_20150506_210257331.jpg
    IMG_20150506_210257331.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_20150506_210305384.jpg
    IMG_20150506_210305384.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,054
DaleH said:
FWIW the hull on the tinny I'm currently refurbishing looks like that, but the corrosion was from saltwater.In dissecting some of the holes, I could see 3 layers in the 0.090" thick aluminum, aluminum on inside and outside and white or pink powder in-between. Took some close-up pictures, then cut into them with a Dremel.

In some spots the carbide burr when right through like going through tissue paper :shock: ! In a few more, I was able to trim back under all I saw was what appeared to be a solid layer of aluminum. But ... I showed the pictures to a PhD metallurgist friend and he said the white was a chloride layer precipitating through the aluminum along the inter-granular grain boundaries ... in other words - the entire transom skin is toast! He opined that it is a cancer that cannot be healed, that once the chloride chemical reaction is within the tin, it is self-propagating.

Interesting, for sure.
I've always called it 'sugar' but fully understood that it does tend to spread and further corrode the aluminum.

PSG-1 said:
DaleH said:

Interesting, for sure.
I've always called it 'sugar' but fully understood that it does tend to spread and further corrode the aluminum.

Hey PSG I see you're in the MB area.... What waters are good for tin boats there? I'm not far away in NC

mrdrh99 - Good Job young Grasshopper !!! A stellar student you are!
go get yourself a lolipop and move up to the front of the class !!!

Now, after you get it all put together and in the water, step back
and admire your work and pat yourself on the back, and say, I DID THAT !!!

Then, in the future, when someone asks the same exact question,
it is YOUR time to chime in with an educated response !!

you are one tenth of one percent there - carry on and good luck.

I would have put the jb weld on first then primed it but I think it will be fine, I also would rather use the jb weld instead of 5200 because you can sand and fair it into the pits like bondo. 5200 is pretty hard but still rubbery, not what I would use for filling holes but it will work. You will just need to re-prime after you fill and sand the pits.

Surfman, yeah... I plan on doing the jb weld today. Then tomorrow sand, another coat of primer, then paint

mrdrh99 said:
Hey PSG I see you're in the MB area.... What waters are good for tin boats there? I'm not far away in NC

Well, technically, our back yards share the same river! The Lumber River in Lumberton, NC, merges with the Little PeeDee River near Nichols, SC. Then it runs for several more miles until the Little PeeDee merges with the Great PeeDee. A few miles below this you're at Yauhannah, SC. From there, Bull Creek runs east toward the Waccamaw River and the ICW. Once you're on the ICW, you're only 2 miles from my back yard. But that's a long way to travel by boat....probably 125 miles or so. Here's a video of it from Nichols, SC to Fair Bluff, NC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tzs1Nbiekk

As for water around here, starting with fresh water.....as I mentioned, there's the Great PeeDee and Little PeeDee Rivers. The GPD is stained orange from all the clay hills in the midlands, while the Little PeeDee is much like the Lumber River, it's slow-moving black water. The Great PeeDee is navigable all the way to the fall line at Cheraw, SC, with the exception of a set of rock ledges at SC Hwy 34 bridge in Darlington County, but those ledges are only exposed at river levels below 8 ft.

Then there's the Waccamaw River, which runs from Lake Waccamaw near Whiteville, NC, all the way to the ocean at Winyah Bay. The lower section from Conway, SC to Winyah Bay is mostly swamps, and it begins to widen out. The upper section from Conway to the NC line is really nice. At lower water levels, there are a lot of sandy beaches. However, if you go much farther upstream than NC Hwy 130, it starts to get really narrow.

The Black River is also very nice. It runs from Manning, SC all the way to Winyah Bay. The section from SC Hwy 41 all the way to the ocean is easily navigable at most water levels. Going upstream from SC 41, headed towards Kingstree, SC, you encounter a lot of sandbars, and it gets narrow in several places.

And last but certainly not least is the Santee River, the largest river system in SC, and the 2nd largest on the east coast. It's also the oldest system east of the Mississippi River, and it has the highest population of nesting alligators in the state. This river technically starts at the confluence of the Wateree and Congaree Rivers, near Eastover, SC. However, because there is a dam at Lake Marion, it's not possible to go from the ocean up to the the beginning of this river. In fact, just above US Hwy 52 on the Santee River, there is a rock ledge/lateral step that's exposed most of the time. Lake Marion also feeds into Lake Moultrie, and these 2 lakes are part of the Santee Cooper lakes that provide hydroelectric power. Lake Moultrie feeds into the Cooper River, and this flows to Charleston Harbor. On Lake Moultrie, there is a lock, so, going from Charleston, it WOULD be possible to go from the ocean to Columbia, SC, and there are people that have done it. Barge traffic used to flow along this route until the 1950's or so.
From the diversion canal at St Stephen to the ocean is the section of the Santee I'm most familiar with. At lower water levels, there is a lot of shoaling from the diversion canal to roughly the area of Wadmacon Island, below SC Hwy 41. Once you get below US Hwy 17, you're going into saltwater, and the terrain begins to change. You see less and less cypress trees, and more cord grass, then finally spartina grass as you get within a mile or so of the ocean. At the ocean lies Murphy Island and Cedar Island, where you can camp year-round with no permit required. It's very nice down there.

As for saltwater, right at the NC/SC border is Little River, the ICW, Calabash Creek, and Dunn Sound. You can go to the ocean through Little River Inlet, which has a set of jetties, good for all types of fishing. The sound is shallow, but navigable all the way up to the tide gage just before you get to the bridge that connects Waites Island with Little River Neck. Lots of flounder, spot tail bass and trout in there. Just be careful of the tides, and the submerged oyster beds. The ICW will carry you farther south, toward Myrtle Beach, or farther north, going toward Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle, Shallotte, and on towards Wilmington, NC. Lots of small inlets along the way, but no jetties, so, these inlets are subject to continual change, and require some skill and nerve to run through, since you're going through a surf zone.

Just below Little River is Cherry Grove Beach, where I grew up. It's a small salt marsh with an inlet, but I don't recommend running that inlet, either, unless you're used to operating in those types of conditions. You can also access Dunn Sound from Cherry Grove, or at least part of it. The area near the bridge connecting Waites Island to Little River Neck has filled in. When I lived there in the 80's, you could go through it at mid-tide. Now it's a major issue to even try getting through at high tide. This is what happens when people stop using a route....it shoals in.

The next major inlet south of Little River and Cherry Grove, is Murrells Inlet, where I hail from. It also has a set of jetties. But this inlet is simply a marsh, it is not an estuary connected by any rivers, so, there's nowhere else to go from here, except out into the ocean. Decent fishing here sometimes, but truthfully, most of the time, it's overcrowded, except in the dead of winter.

A little farther south is North Inlet and Winyah Bay. 5 rivers feed into Winyah Bay, comprised of the Little PeeDee, Great PeeDee, Sampit, Waccamaw, and Black Rivers. It's a huge body of water, and it can become treacherous if the wind or tide shifts. But because it's such a huge body of water, the places to fish are endless. You can cut across to North Inlet through Jones Creek, but you have to be on the lookout for shoaling. Also, near the ocean, on the side opposite of the lighthouse is a place that goes by several names, including, "Quarantine" "The Window" "Mother Norton Sound" "Beach Creek" and "South Inlet" Anyhow, it's known as the window, because there's only about a 6 hour window that it's accessible, from half-tide to half-tide. You go through there, and float across the remains of the south jetty of Winyah Bay, and then continue along a narrow ditch that finally opens up into a nice marsh, with its own inlet, and even a beach. Unfortunately, the beach is private property, part of the Yawkey Wildlife Preserve, so, you can't camp there. But the fishing back in those marshes can hold a wide variety of things, including giant spot tail bass.

This concludes our morning tour of the northeast South Carolina coast! Hope you enjoyed! 8)
If you want to see any of these areas on video, click on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDphjQuc7jqxBBKZI91ixoW-YU4e4B9yc

Latest posts