Boat ramp confusion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
So I show up at my local lake at noon this past Saturday to do a little crappie fishing. As I come into view of the ramp I see about 7-8 boats all around the ramp area. I didn't know if they were launching or loading. As I wheeled around to get out and get my boat ready to launch, I noticed that something just didn't look right. As I started looking closer at what everyone was doing, I notice a few fishermen gathered over to one side of the launch area. Then I saw it, the gunwale of a boat just barely sticking up out of the water. Then I started looking closer and there was all sorts of items floating in the water around the other boats, ice chest, life jackets, etc. I should have tried to get some pictures but I just wanted to get gone from there and let them handle that while I tried to catch some fish. After all, I had just gone for a walk in those same waters (lake is only 4'-5' deep) 2 weeks prior to this when my "fishing partner" dumped me out of my own boat. #-o But that's a different story that I won't soon let him forget. :oops:

Well I guess it's confirmed that I'm senile. Jim, I thought I put this thread in "The Watering Hole" so I'm evidently losing it. I don't believe I have the ability to move it, so would you please do the honors?

Johnny, there's not much more I could tell about the boat that sank. Before I got launched, one guy walked out into the water and grabbed the boat that had sank, and rotated it level (submerged but level) LoL. But every time he let go of it, it would go down by the starboard side until just the rounded top portion of the port side gunwale was visible. I guess it didn't have much foam or what it did have was mostly waterlogged. They were trying to figure out how to get it up on a trailer when I left. As for the other story, there are still some things unfolding as a result of that event. If I don't end up forgetting about it, I'll follow up with the details on that one also. :lol:

Last Saturday I went to launch my boat and it would not come off the tailor. After two attempts I discovered the transom saver was still attached.

bird35 said:
Last Saturday I went to launch my boat and it would not come off the tailor. After two attempts I discovered the transom saver was still attached.

Done that - no matter how hard you hit those brakes it does not move

Sheeesh!

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Thanks Michael - I was just wondering why boat #1 sank in the first place.
no plug, forgot to take straps off, overloaded and tipped, LOL all those can contribute to sinking.
or rapidly taking on water before anyone knows what happened.
It may well have been from being overloaded as there was one more big ole boy in that crowd of people that was standing there talking. He looked to be a good 6' 9" or better and every bit of 450 lbs if I had to guess. But until the one guy walked off into the water to roll the boat, I didn't notice anyone being wet. So it could have also been that they forgot the plug. I'm gonna hit that lake again this weekend if the weather permits so I might run in to someone that knows the details of the sinking. :mrgreen:

one year for the first trip of the season i had my buddy keep backing in, boat wouldnt lift off trailer. i had the motor in revers, still go. then it dawned on me i did NOT remove the rear tie downs....... LOL! i could spend all day people watching at the boat ramp