Looking for Opinions/Thoughts on Boat Names

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstrayhorn

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I came up with several different ideas for boat names and was wanting to see what y'all think of the names themselves and the designs I came up with. For those who don't know, I currently have a 1232 Alumacraft. The initial list I came up with are derivatives of some of my favorite songs, and the others are borderline raunchy, which fits my hunting/fishing buddies and I. Here they are:
Wabass Cannonball (Wabash Cannonball)
Fishkey River (Whiskey River - Willie Nelson, Johnny Bush)
Fishkey Trip (Whiskey Trip - Gary Stewart)
On The Boat Again (On the Road Again - Willie Nelson)
Johnny Bass (Johnny Cash)
Longhaired Redneck (David Allan Coe)
Cirrhosis of the River
Gas, Bass, or *** (nobody rides for free)
Undercompensating
Master Baiter
Troutlaw
Dirty Little Oar
Cheap Hooker

I then narrowed that list down and came up with some designs:
KVgZ5FK.png

I think I've almost decided on Undercompensating since it is a 1232, my little brother is shopping for a bigger one, and it doesn't limit it to fishing like some of the others.

I also had another idea to remove the factory Alumacraft decals and put something else. This idea came from my Malibu ski boat when random letters started falling off (sportster became "rtster," etc.).
ifQfD5e.png

I like the retro design, but the all caps makes it look more like the B fell off.

Another dilemma I've come across is where to put them.
So, let me know what you think, and feel free to use any of those ideas if you like.
Thanks

Not such good names - but it is your boat.

Plus many of those names have been used before and will be used again.

Come up with something personal to you - not flashy or "cool" and make it your own. Mom, Grandmom, dog, etc.

Much rather fish on the "Martha V" then the "Drunk *** Fisher"

Mine is called the FV Slamma Jamma!

I agree with the above suggestions about thinking twice. It's like the license plate I saw the other day (NH is like the nations #1 state for vanity plates) they had "toker" on the plate. Yeah, that doesn't draw any attention from police!! Kidding me? Now it's not like I am a tea toadler, in fact just the opposite- I enjoy adult beverages every time I get on my vessel. a cooler with beer and ice is almost as important as the gas and tackle! Because of that I would never want to attract the attention of marine patrol with a name that makes me look like a partier.

It's like the guy with his boat named "Poacher". Really? You think Fish and Game isn't going to check that boat every time it comes across it to make sure they are fishing legally?

And don't forget you probably tow this boat down the road behind a vehicle. I'm not saying you drive drunk, I know I don't, but what if you have had a few brews and you are towing a dripping wet boat that is named "Cirrhosis of the River"... Cops gonna know what you been up to.

I knew what I was getting into when I posted this and I truly appreciate the input. I wanted to see how it would come across to other people out on the water. I wanted y'all's opinions because of course all my buddies think any of those are the greatest ever.

I feel I should make it very clear that I actually don't drink that much. Never more than a case a month, and absolutely never before driving. I pretty much only ever drink at the end of the night when I'm at home watching tv. But, I've got friends that do, and between being a 21-year-old college kid in a fraternity and not owning an item of clothing that's not either camo or earth colored, the alcohol just kind of fits the rest of the white trash with money stereotype I've always lived with.

However, I was about 90% decided on Undercompensating before posting this thread. Do y'all still think that one is too inappropriate?

kstrayhorn said:
Hey guys, so I came up with several different ideas for boat names and was wanting to see what y'all think of the names themselves and the designs I came up with. For those who don't know, I currently have a 1232 Alumacraft. The initial list I came up with are derivatives of some of my favorite songs, and the others are borderline raunchy, which fits my hunting/fishing buddies and I. Here they are:
Wabass Cannonball (Wabash Cannonball)
Fishkey River (Whiskey River - Willie Nelson, Johnny Bush)
Fishkey Trip (Whiskey Trip - Gary Stewart)
On The Boat Again (On the Road Again - Willie Nelson)
Johnny Bass (Johnny Cash)
Longhaired Redneck (David Allan Coe)
Cirrhosis of the River
Gas, Bass, or *** (nobody rides for free)
Undercompensating
Master Baiter
Troutlaw
Dirty Little Oar
Cheap Hooker

I then narrowed that list down and came up with some designs:
KVgZ5FK.png

I think I've almost decided on Undercompensating since it is a 1232, my little brother is shopping for a bigger one, and it doesn't limit it to fishing like some of the others.

I also had another idea to remove the factory Alumacraft decals and put something else. This idea came from my Malibu ski boat when random letters started falling off (sportster became "rtster," etc.).
ifQfD5e.png

I like the retro design, but the all caps makes it look more like the B fell off.

Another dilemma I've come across is where to put them.
So, let me know what you think, and feel free to use any of those ideas if you like.
Thanks

I like Troutlaw. I don't take these things too seriously, it is just a boat name. What have you ever done in your life that someone or the other did not like.
Tim

Girls will notice too and their fathers. Decent girls are not turned on by this as much as you might think. But I guess you're just trying to impress you drinking buddies. I suggest different friends myself.

deananywhere said:
Girls will notice too and their fathers. Decent girls are not turned on by this as much as you might think. But I guess you're just trying to impress you drinking buddies. I suggest different friends myself.

But slutty women are, and when you're his age, slutty women are the where it's at. Not to mention he has a boat, quite the advantage :mrgreen:

Most of the people on this site including myself would not want many of those names on their boat. Some sound fine tbh but 15 years ago I could see myself loving most of them or something even more vulgar. People mature, personalities change, and all that. We were all young and dumb, once upon a time.

I wouldn't choose any of those names.

you can call it whatever you want to your buddies, even joke like "I wanted to call it "x" but that was already taken. all laugh and chug a beer.

I recently painted my boat Haze Gray. well it goes on the water so I wanted to call it the "gray goose" til my wife reminded me there is a vodka with that name. now it doesn't sound that appealing. my kids want to call it the gray ninja, that one also is being rejected.

good luck.

when I was younger I named my dog "Bailey's Irish cream" and thought it was funny. now Bailey is an old dog and her registered name is tacky not funny. I definitely do not advertise it.

my .02

I don't think small, non-ocean going boats require a name. That being said... it's your boat, give it whatever name you like. Just be prepared for the funny looks when you take a future girlfriends father fishing on your boat.

I was not offended by any of the possible names, but that's just me. I wouldn't worry too much about what others think of the name on the boat. If they don't like it, they probably won't say anything face to face, and if they do like it, they will just say "cool name".

Rude, crude or lewd as long as you like it it doesn't bother me.
But if you decide to change the name remember to have a proper renaming ceremony. You don't want to make the God Poseidon mad.

Well I certainly appreciate the more lighthearted responses. As intended, this thread has, in fact, helped me to gain perspective. I had not even considered a long-term standpoint, as I'm sure my views and values will change sooner rather than later. I don't really expect this boat to last too long, either as a result of heavy use or needing to upgrade, but I figured if it did, I have an eraser wheel to do a name change. I guess I've kind of seen this first boat as a last grasp on adolescence and immaturity, which might make the initial list make more sense. I also hadn't considered names with personal meaning, as there is not a whole lot in my life, being young still. I have concluded that I will give the issue more thought, and try to come up with something that might incorporate my 2-year-old black lab, Gator, and/or my late grandfathers, Poppy and Bobo. If I can't seem to find one or anything I like better, I will most likely go with "Undercompensating" as I think it fits the boat well and I don't see how it might offend anybody, especially considering the places I frequent and the other people there.
As always, I appreciate and thank you all for your input and debate

If you subscribe to the notion that it is bad luck to rename a boat without proper ceremony and would avoid it..
Consider naming a boat like getting a tattoo.
What's fun now might not still be decades from now.
I'm for rated G but that's just me considering some kid askin the folks what it means.
I'm still waiting to name any boat though .
My avatar has been long considered for the first boat but still not on it.
People think it's called the Misty River due to brand name....l.o.l..

Latest posts