problems polishing my boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
I started polishing my boat in preparation for my 59 merc mark 78a. Problem is that I'm noticing some deep scratches in my hull. Some deep enough that I feel they may be half the thickness of the metal. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've got some alumalloy brazing sticks but I'm not sure if it will come out good. I also have a bunch of dimples in spots. Is there a way to unpolish what I've done so it's oxidized again? Or I may fill and paint it but I'd hate to do that.

There are several types of cleaners on the market that use acid/caustic ingredients of one type or another that will oxidize the surface if you leave them on too long but I'm not sure how good that would match up to what you currently have. you might want to get a piece of scrap aluminum to test on if you decide to try that though. If I had scratches so bad that I didn't trust the hull to hold, I wouldn't trust anything less than welding by a professional.

I'm not so worried about hull integrity. Just thought maybe I could use the alumalloy to fill them then grind it down flush with the boat hull. I'm thinking it would be less unsightly than a big deep scratch. Unless everyone else thinks feathering out a deep scratch is ok. There aren't many aluminum welders in my area.

Latest posts