Wood Choice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckmechanic

Reaction score
I'm working on Adding wood trim of a sort to a boat I'm remodeling. I need a wood that's good for marine use and flexs somewhat so that it doesn't stress the slight curve of the gunwale I'm attaching it to.

Any suggestions?

Mahogany and teak are often the woods of choice but others can be used as well. Canoes are made of cedar and sometimes Sitka spruce. Part of the trick with bending is the thickness of the material. I have made 20" diameter drum hoops out of maple by laminating several thicknesses together. If you glue and bend thin strips they will retain their curve/shape. The kind of wood you use will determine how thin the strips need to be. Obviously the harder woods need to be thinner to be able to bend without splitting. In the case of a gunwale I would think the curve isn't so severe that splitting will be a problem - depending on how thick it is.

Steam the wood as you bend it or put very hot wet towels on the wood as you bend it.

Just out of curiosity - - - is it just for physical embellishment (painted)
or to look pretty and varnish it for the aesthetic appeal ??
Will it be kept under cover or in a garage/carport ?
Posting a photo or two with some notes of exactly what you want to do will help a lot
with more educated responses.

I myself, am a "wood purest" . . . meaning that on nice boats, teak or mahogany, oiled or varnished.
painted could be the same or any good exterior wood. WEATHER will kill any finish on wood just
due to the wood's characteristics of expansion/contraction .....
White oak will work well if not painted. IMO, red and white oak does not hold paint well outdoors.

If painted, just follow the procedures of painting the wood trim on your house.
If varnished with SPAR varnish, stand by for heavy rolls to starboard !! LOL
meaning every year, sanding, patching and revarnishing.

Just looked over your build you have posted and you are doing one jam up job of it !!!
for the "maintenance free" aspect, you could use any of the PVC materials available at your Big Box Stores.

I lived in Nicholas County, Summersville, for 3 years and loved it up there !!
So I know a little bit about your area. I do miss the mountains - but - not the minus 15* winters !!!

ah so, your OTHER boat !! lol
go to Lowe's and check out the brown 1x4 decking boards.
or, 1x6 and cut them down. Very flexible when warm.
easily routed with a hand held router to dress up the edges.
never needs painting, never chip or peel. Good for places that get stepped on a lot.
Jus my dos centavos

White Oak is also a good wood to use boat wise. It's what many of the big sailing ships were made of. Wine and whiskey barrels are made of it.

Latest posts