Jon Boat Plug

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saggyman

Reaction score
Just got my first Alumacraft 1448 V jon boat. The plug hole on the outside looks to be smashed down and more oval looking. Does everyone plug these on the inside of the boat or on the outside? Just curious if mine is damaged :)

Plug won't fit here since it's oval:
2hhzq0y.jpg

Fits from the inside:
10xblte.jpg

I've only had v-hulls in the past and always plugged from the outside. Do all the jon guys plug on the inside of the boat?

I have the same situation on my Alumacraft 1648. I think it's pretty typical for these models. Put the plug on the inside. Never had a problem.

Attachments

• plug 001.jpg
    plug 001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9,958
  • plug 002.jpg
    plug 002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 9,958
Yep, that type is supposed to be plugged from the inside. As stated previously, keep a spare. Also, I have mine on a leash (small chain about a foot long) connected to the transom knee brace, so it can't get lost or forgotten. I use the kind on the right that the handle flips to tighten:

Attachments

• Transom plugs.PNG
    Transom plugs.PNG
    23.1 KB · Views: 9,908
MV 1448 here and I plug on the inside. I use the same as posted above with the flip handle - I also have mine attached within a foot so I cannot lose it etc. I also have a spare within a couple feet also.

Keep in mind that the snugness (is that a word?) is adjustable. If you have the lever type you can tighten or loosen the nut to make it fit better.

my tracker plugs from the outside but my lowe plugs from the inside ..... don't really much matter so long as its plugged.

Isn't anyone worried that the lever can be disengaged by trolling through some submerged branches or something if it is mounted outside?

sonny.barile said:
Isn't anyone worried that the lever can be disengaged by trolling through some submerged branches or something if it is mounted outside?
Nope...I have two drain plugs, 1 on the inside and the other goes on the outside...couldn't put both on the inside unless I cut the floor out.

Latest posts