Got a v boat. Unsure of model.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camoje86

Reaction score
New to this but not boating. I recently obtained a boat. it floats and I can fish out of it ( no title but I can still use it with no motor) I would like to know what kind it is. I am going to clean it up, but unsure about painting it. I am wanting to make some sort of rod holder to hold at least 4 rods.

View attachment 1 too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431287318509.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431287318509.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • uploadfromtaptalk1431287371010.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431287371010.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,644
Tin boats built before 1965 ( or there about) didn't have titles. All you need is a bill of sale. Here anyway. I suspect any state.
With wood seats yours is pretty old I'd think. I'm sure someone will no the model and close to the year.
Good looking boat by the pics.

Thanks for that information. Ill check into that. Its a good boat. Just needs cleaned up. Also I saw a site on another post that had boat parts. I cant find it now.

Thanks. Are the pieces of foam under the seats necessary? if there not needed I'm thinking about boxing in under the seats for storage.

Finally got time to start cleaning up the boat.

Im trying to decide what to do. Leave it like it is or paint it. Has anyone used anything like rhino liner on the bottom or is that a bad idea.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431820151499.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431820151499.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,484
The foam under the seat is there to keep the boat from sinking.
The only bed liner I've seen has a rough texture. That would ad a lot of drag
to the boat when under way.

Steve A W

Steve A W said:
The foam under the seat is there to keep the boat from sinking.
The only bed liner I've seen has a rough texture. That would ad a lot of drag
to the boat when under way.

Steve A W

X 2!
If it where me I wouldn't paint it. Wish mine wasn't painted before I got it.

Here is before and now. I think I'll leave it like it is for now. Also found these three rivets while cleaning. Was where the name plate was. The two fartherest are about 10 inches (top pic)

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431890125215.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431890125215.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,460
  • uploadfromtaptalk1431890189553.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431890189553.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,460
  • uploadfromtaptalk1431890355354.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431890355354.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,460
I've been searching the web. Cant seem to find the right match for this boat. Going by the rivets it has at least a 10 inch name plate. I would replace them if I could find what boat it is and find the plates. I have also found out I can get it legal. So I need to know what size motor I could use. Thanks for your opinions so far.

On the motors forum here, there is a sticky post at the top that
has a way of calculating the max hp a boat can handle.
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12144

Steve A W

camoje86 said:
I've been searching the web. Cant seem to find the right match for this boat. Going by the rivets it has at least a 10 inch name plate. I would replace them if I could find what boat it is and find the plates. I have also found out I can get it legal. So I need to know what size motor I could use. Thanks for your opinions so far.

I believe boats made prior to 1972 do not have a HIN.

To register your unknown boat
1) make sure there is no HIN on the STBD side of the transom
2) if no HIN, decide what make you would like it to be (alumacraft, lowe, lund, gamefisher, etc) and give it a year (pre 1972) and make sure the brand you selected made boats that year
3) have grandpa/grandma/anyone write a letter saying you drug on old boat out of the back fifty and take that to the DMV (or however your state works), you'll pay a small tax and should get a brand new HIN issued that the wildlife agency will use to issue new registration numbers

Good luck, nice boat too!

I came up with 7.5 up. 12 ft long and 39 inches ( used 3.3). 39.6.

I am printing paper to get the process started to get it legal. Thanks for everyones input

TexasLoneStar56 said:
Can you get a good pic of one of the sides? The body lines usually tell the "hull truth". [emoji38]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432054881974.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432054881974.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 606
=D> =D> =D>

The Hull Truth.......
I think she's a Lone Star. 8) Could possibly be a Texas Maid. (But I could be wrong)

Look on the back. Just under the rail, on the left. You will find a stamped SN. Tell us what you find.
That SN is going to tell you what she is; year; model; etc.....
M
Tyler, Texas

PS: When I saw her bow handle and the left corner piece from your previous pics, I thought then that she was a Lone Star. Let us know about the SN. I could be wrong. Others on here will know too and can help. :D

Got more time to look it over. No s/n or any kind of markings.

I started shining it up to. This is what it is so far.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433892642881.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433892642881.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 593
=D> =D> =D>
Way to go! It's hard work to make them shiny. "wax on-wax off". Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting pics and sharing. :D

It just took some time. The bottom isnt the best but its not much to worry about. Can see here what the sides look like.
Im trying to decide if I want to change the seats around or do any modification to the interior. Its plain now. Looks factory. Dont want to add but very little weight since i do not have a trailer for it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434941545815.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434941545815.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 583

Latest posts