Bolts through Carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin t

Reaction score
Getting ready to install new front deck on my Lund and am wondering the best method for going through the carpet with the bolts so I don't have a shredded carpet on my hands. I am using 1/4" #20 stainless bolts to go through the deck into 2 1/2" alum brackets with nylocs. Do I drill first then cut or lay carpet and do something to create a clean avenue for the bolt to go thru?

Thanks

depends on your carpet if it "unravels" or not.

I tried the drilling holes first thing, then, taking a pick to locate the holes after the carpet
is glued down, mark with a spot of white paint then cut a hole for the bolt. Time consuming, but it works.
If you are using 1/4" bolts, drill a larger hole, maybe 5/16".... much easier to work with.
Just be advised, there WILL be glue in the predrilled holes, which WILL get all over your hands during this process.

For my wife's Jon I just used very cheap carpet for a temporary covering and it DID unravel !! BAD.

Second attempt was with a better carpet, no problem with unraveling.
Just do a test spot somewhere, then you will know what to do in your case.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before. I am going to take a piece of scrap plywood and drill a hole then cover piece with the carpet and drill through that hole and create another and see what happens and go from there. One of the two should give me the results I am looking for.

If nothing else works (though I really like the BURN/Melt suggestion) ... You could try a piece of 1/4 inch tubing. Chuck it in a drill, and hold a file against its edge while spinning. Then use the sharpened tube to cut a smooth hole.
richg99

Along those very same lines...a 44 mag cigar cutter would work too but brass tubing is cheaper.

You also might consider using these washers ...

See - https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37903

file.php

^^ We call those beauty rings in the business. You can run your drill in reverse through the wood and it will not unravel the carpet. I'm going to assume you will be able to hold all those nuts under the deck. If not you can run some self tapping screws and skip the pilot holes.

Dale...I am going to use something very close to that...countersunk finish washer. Just to give the bolt head more "bite".

Latest posts