Tubing or ski behind a tin boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10sne1

Reaction score
How many of you pull your kids behind your rig? I have a 1870 Triton bay with a 115 four stroke, should I attempt to pull my daughters on tubes behind this rig. They are 14 and 15, about 150lbs each. Why or why not do it? I down sized from a 24 bayboat with 225, easy pull! But kids wish to tube? Boat will run 43mph loaded so it should/could have the muscle.
Thanks Tomm

I know that if we had such modern tube-type toys when I was a kid,
WOW !! we woulda done it with a 1436 V - 35hp Johnson
I remember when we were 14/15 years old, my dad would drop us off at the lake with the boat
and skis and we would have a blast. Good idea? probably not. teenagers NEED supervision 24/7 LOL.
on one excursion, we forgot the skis - - - we went across the lake to a friends abandoned fish camp
and got an old door and used that to surf behind the boat. I hope I can find a photo of it !!!
Left to their own demise, kids can adapt. (this was back in the 60s, lakes were a LOT less crowded then).

When your kids are 40 years old, they will be saying . . . .remember when we went tubing behind Dad's
old Tin Boat ??? That was a BLAST. LOL it wasn't fast, but it was FUN.
Any fun day with your kids is always a good thing.

shouldnt have a problem behind that. my dad and uncle used to ski behind a wooden jon boat he built. motor was way too big for it. someone always had to be up front anytime it was in the water.

You'll have no problem...at worse maybe a smaller pitched or more bladed prop. for optimal performance.

I have a 14ft Starcraft with a 30 E-TEC. I pull my kids on tubes, skis & kneeboards. My wife even pulls my 190lb butt around on a kneeboard!!

We grew up doing any and everything we could behind a tin with a 20-25hp outboard. It's all we had and we made the most of it. The only thing I would caution you about would be how you connect your pull rope. You really should hook it up so that it pulls from both sides of the boat equally, assuming you are going to attach to the rear handles (that's what we used).

JMichael said:
We grew up doing any and everything we could behind a tin with a 20-25hp outboard. It's all we had and we made the most of it. The only thing I would caution you about would be how you connect your pull rope. You really should hook it up so that it pulls from both sides of the boat equally, assuming you are going to attach to the rear handles (that's what we used).

+1 to that. Make a tow bridle and connect it to the 2 stern eyes. This will equalize the pull of the skier, and keep the boat tracking straighter.

If I only connect to one side of the transom of my jet boat (160 HP) when I slalom ski and cut out as far as I can, I'm actually pulling the stern of the boat around, and my driver has to counter-steer for that, as well. Also because it's a jet drive, it doesn't have a lower unit to act like a rudder, so, that makes its handling with a skier behind it much different than an outboard.

Latest posts