1432/Yamaha 9.9 fourstroke.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willwatts0718

Reaction score
I have a 1432 Jon boat that I fish ponds out of. Currently with me and a buddy, light tackle, transom mount TM, and one battery, the boat sits low in the water, mainly in the stern.
I plan on adding a floor between the back and middle bench with flotation under it, and the same behind the bench.
I also have a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke with a short-shaft. The motor weighs around 80-100lbs. I know if I add a motor and gas tank, the back of the boat will be under water.
I need displacement, right? Should I keep this as a pond hopper, and find a 1436 or larger? The beam is actually 42", but the bottom is 32. Does this increase displacement? I will post pictures when I get home from work.

You are correct about needing "displacement" as opposed to floatation. I would suggest you find yourself a larger boat so you can properly use that 9.9.

CMOS

I think you should look at a 1448.
Had a 1436 and I found it to be unstable. Almost tipped it over a few times. If your not careful you could go for a swim. Going up to a 1448 will be much more stable and handle much more weight. I can stand over the starboard or port and not worry of going over. A 9.9 should plane it.

I also had a few 1436s. Actually two were 1432. 9.9 Evinrude on one of then, and another one had a 9.8 Mercury. Then the last one I had...no motor at all, just a paddle and that was the most stable of the 3. But I still managed to turn the thing over in cottonmouth heaven, in the middle of the night while gigging frogs with a friend. Alcohol was not involved. Only thing in that boat was a battery to run the spot light, a frog gig, about a half dozen bullfrogs and the two of us (I'm 245 lbs 6'7" and the other guy in the boat 5'6" 125). They are just inherently unstable and generally speaking, the sides are "short" (18" or less, mine were like 16"). Going to a 1448 is...well like daylight and dark.

Latest posts