Best PFD out there?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
I am always concerned about the quality and size of PFD's I see on friends boats. I had an incident years ago when my battery dies on my (then) big boat while drifting for flounder off Cape May NJ. It was dusk and had to call Sea Tow for a tow in

Always taught that whenever there is a problem or you a disabled the 1st thing is to get everyone in a life vest. Well my buddy was about 6'4" and pushing 300 lbs - the life vest would just not fit on him correctly.

We had no problems but I always keep that in mind whenever I have someone who is larger then most on board.

How many people here have even tried on their life vest?

I make anyone getting in my boat try one on and adjust it to fit. They don't have to wear it but keep it handy.
I want one of the self inflating ones one day. To wear all the time I'm out.

Thought you where going to say the best one. Is the one floating your butt if you need it. :mrgreen:

If you had asked that question 3 years ago I'd probably would have had to say NO I haven't even tried it on. LoL But spring of last year I bought a new Mustang inflatable PFD and I actually wear it on some trips. This thing is so comfortable that I forget I have it on some times. I've gone so far as to catch myself still wearing it even after loading the boat on the trailer.

When I am out by myself, I always wear a life belt PFD. I add a vest over the belt PFD if I am underway in my boat.

I got the belt to wear bank fishing where the banks are steep and the water is deep after I slipped off the bank and I almost did not make it out of water. Among other things, I left my glasses in the creek that day before I found a spot to get out of the water, my only thought was getting to a warm truck and going home.

I fired off the belt one one summer day after I fell off a friend's boat. I did not need to use it that day but I really wondered how well it would work. It did fine. I pulled the lanyard under water and popped up like a bobber.

Both times that I have gone into the water, it was unexpected and in the blink of an eye. Once without a PDF and once wearing one. Given the choice I'd rather have one on.

On my local river it's the law to wear a life jacket between November 15th and May 15th. I'm on the water year round. Hunting in the fall/winter and fishing the rest of the year. So between those dates anyone on my boat has a PFD on. I'm 6'8" 275#'s and even with my waders, layered clothing and hunting jacket on my $20 Cabelas life jacket fits with room to spare. Sounds like you were trying to fit an XXL guy with a small or medium jacket.

Good question. Several companies make great products. After spending 21 years as a puddle pirate (USCG) I think the biggest factor comes down to fit. If it's not comfortable you're not going to wear it. Stearns and Mustang make most of the commercial PFDs and hold up well.

The next thing to look at is how safe do you want to be in the water. Type I give the most flotation and will flip you face up if unconscious. Type III are more comfortable but if you are face down that's how you stay.

Yes, very good question. I used to weigh over 300#, so all of my vests would work for me, with the
exception of a smaller vest for my daughter.

I usually wear it when the boat is in motion, but sometimes I forget to put it on at the ramp.
I will take it off while anchored and fishing if its hot outside.

-jasper

I'm 6'4" and pushing 300lbs.

The Bass Pro XXXL fishing lifejacket (has the webbing around your arms and back) fits me great.

I have an inflatable that I wear when I am on the boat or canoe. It is so small I wondered if it would work if I needed it. I ended up trying it out just to make sure it would hold me afloat and it did. I was impressed. I wear it all the time I am in the boat. It is a manual inflation vest that I have to actually pull the ripcord to inflate it. I didn't want to be setting an automatic one off every time I get splashed in my canoe. I don't know how sensitive they are to being set off automatically. I also carry a seat cushion flotation device also.

Best is subjective, but you raise a good point.

I'm old and a local fisherman, and have been rehabbing old tins the last few years. Most often, I drag a guy--even older than I am!--along as dead weight for the bow of the boat(s).

In all cases, knowing I'm not what I once was, I wear the PFD all the time, and insist on anyone who comes with be similarly outfitted. One friend couldn't believe I was telling him what to do. That episode ended with some hard feelings, since I gave him once last chance and then left him on the pier.

I figure, my boat, my rules. 8)

Never made anyone test them first though, but most passengers have been under 200lbs.

It's law up here to have a proper weighted/sized PFD for each person on a boat. Currently it doesn't have to be worn, just aboard the boat... I see this changing in time. I never wear one, I know I should...maybe one of those newer self inflating ones.

Latest posts