New here with my first ever boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph01

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been a long time lurker and have enjoyed the threads and projects! About 4 years ago, my family got a river lot. Since than I have been wanting to find a cheap but decent jon boat to go out and just enjoy being on the water in and to do some light fishing. I don't have a whole lot to spend and my search for a decent boat I could afford has yeilded slim to no results.

Until today...

My Brother-In-Law is giving me his boat. He put new boards and seats in it a few years ago and has not had it in the water since. Since I have the river lot, he said I can have it.

Now, I have never seen it and won't have it in my possession until next week. Does anyone know what kind of boat it is... maker.. model? I believe it is a 12' fiberglass over aluminum frame...

Since I am getting it for free, I am planning on fixing it up a little. Motor of coarse, just need to figure out what size the transom can handle...

I know this isn't a "tin boat" but if its okay with you all, I would like to share this story and adventure with you and maybe get some advice for it along the way.

I have searched google images and for the life of me, cannot find anything like this to try and figure out what exactly this boat is so if anyone knows, or has any info, that would be great!

Can't offer any advice on make or model but it looks solid and well taken care of. Was it garage kept for most or part of the time it sat? Rig looks great if it's been out in the elements for three years. Does it have an info plate or anything similar? That should tell you the hp rating. Good luck with it and keep the pictures coming :mrgreen:

Abraham said:
Can't offer any advice on make or model but it looks solid and well taken care of. Was it garage kept for most or part of the time it sat? Rig looks great if it's been out in the elements for three years. Does it have an info plate or anything similar? That should tell you the hp rating. Good luck with it and keep the pictures coming :mrgreen:

Thanks. No, it has sat outside at their farm all these years. They rebuilt the flooring and put new chairs in it 4 years agao, and may have even painted it.

Not sure if it has an info plate yet. I will know next week when I pick it up.

Needless to say,.. I am pretty stoked about it regardless and looking forward to fixing her up for my needs!

I know the trailer has a title but the boat does not. From what I have heard though, it is fairly easy to get boats registered in WV. Just have to take it to the Sheriff's office for them to validate the numbers and than to the DMV... guess I will find out.

Nice looking john boat. My gut tells me you should be looking for a 10ish HP motor. What kind of water do you intend to fish?

KillerJ said:
Nice looking john boat. My gut tells me you should be looking for a 10ish HP motor. What kind of water do you intend to fish?

Mainly slow water rivers and lakes.

Your boat looks fairly narrow. You definitely don't want to put too much motor on it and sacrifice stability/safety. Assuming its a lightweight boat (looks light in the pics), I would shop around for a good running used 6hp outboard.

I agree about a 6hp engine for the boat. 10hp would be way to much. A light Yamaha 6hp 2-stroke or 6hp 2-stroke Johnson/Evinrude would be a great match. They are very light, about 56 lbs.

It looks a lot like one of the Coleman Crawdad series of plastic Jon boats. Might want to research those for a horsepower suggestion. 5 or 6 hp would be about the max.

Got to actually take my first look at the boat today. Unfortunately I could not locate a hull tag, plate, or serial number anywhere... :(

Was told it could have been made by Delta..? It measures 13' long by 48" at the top rail. Overall, the boat is pretty sound and in good shape for sitting as long as it has. It is plastic, not fiberglass and the inner frame is fiberglass. The front and back sections are filled with foam under the plastic. Was told the previous owner, who had it before my brother in law, had a 12hp motor on it.. :? Pretty sure I am going to stick to around a 6hp.

The only thing that concerns me is lack of any information tags or plates and how this might affect getting it registered...

Plastic hull, ok. You might be better off just slapping a trolling motor on (as long as your not trying to go fast). The plus side of a trolling motor vs an outboard: low cost, no maintenance, and portability. That being said; outboards are way more fun (and frustrating).

Latest posts