Adjustable Tiller Extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stump Bumper

Reaction score
So I finally made a replacement for the wally world special Minn Kota tiller extension. Over the years it's gotten really loose and I never really could use it for the throttle due to the twist tighten feature for the adjustable length. I went to Lowe's today and bought a 1-1/2" and 1" piece of PVC, some hose clamps, a flex reducer and a 1" 45 and plug. I wanted to be able to make my handle long enough to stand and steer but shorten it when driving while sitting. I went the standard route and made 2 cuts along the sides at the end that slides over the motor tiller. I drilled a hole at the end of the cuts to prevent further cracking. I cut out a rectangle so I can access the engine stop button. Then attached the 1-1/2" PVC to the motor with 2 hose clamps. I cemented the flex 1-1/2" - 1" reducing adaptor to the end of the 1-1/2" just to lessen the wiggle on the 1" PVC that will telescope in and out of the 1-1/2". I drilled a hole in the 1-1/2" PVC at the end furthest away from the motor, behind the reducer. Using the same hole, I drilled 3 holes in the 1" PVC at different locations to adjust the length of the handle. I will use a trailer tongue locking pin to lock the 1" PVC into the desired location. I cemented the 1" PVC elbow and plug on the end of the 1" PVC just to give me some leverage on the throttle and in case I hit something on the water while standing. I hope it will keep my hand from slipping off the handle. In the 4th picture, you can see the handle taken off of a collapsible hand truck that I mounted to my storage box as a make shift grab bar. It too can adjust from low to high to use while standing/steering and lowered while fishing.(I always wear the kill switch tether while under way just in case) If everything works well the next time out, it'll get a coat of flat hunter green paint.
0514151555_resized_zpsfguahwio.jpg

0514151556a_resized_zps6cktkka0.jpg

0514151556c_resized_zpseyh5ooev.jpg

0514151557_resized_zpslmzncg0p.jpg

0514151557a_resized_zpsrtq2badk.jpg

Latest posts