Just bent my prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerJ

Reaction score
So i decided to take the wife out fishing while the kids were in school today. Everything was fine until a nasty wind kicked up. I decided to call it a day. Left the boat at the dock and backed the trailer down the nasty steep ramp at Milner Reservoir.

My first bit of bad luck was my truck started rolling backwards when shut off even though I left it in gear (emergency brake has been inop for a long time). So instead of being able to throw a line to my wife to have her assist in getting the boat on the trailer, she had to sit in the truck with her foot on the brake.

Next bit of bad luck: I had to deal with a strong left to right wind while trying to get the boat lined up and on the trailer. My first attempt went horribly wrong and I missed the trailer. The boat bumped the ramp, motor died, and the stern immediately swung to the right due to the strong wind. In order to avoid running into the nearby dock, I restarted the motor and backed out until I hit a submerged rock with the prop. Motor died again.

I pushed away from the rock with a paddle and fired up my underpowered (especially on a windy day) trolling motor. By approaching the dock about 30 yards upwind of the ramp I was able to get enough of the boat on the trailer to crawl over the bow and get the strap secured.

The end result is the prop damage pictured. I plan on taking the prop into the local marine dealership/service shop to see how much a repair or replacement will cost.

I've heard aluminum props can be hammered back into shape. However, I'm concerned about any imperfections from my hammering job causing excessive vibration and/or damage to my motor. I'm very open to suggestions from the forum. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,119
Take it to the prop place - you might want to get a 2nd prop anyway with a different pitch - I switched to a 4 blade and like it better for what I do

Aluminum props are not all that expensive for most motors - I know for my 25 hp Evinrude it was less then 100

Don't feel bad man, I've been through several aluminum props, it just happens. I finally got a stainless prop btw.

You could buy a new or used prop, hammer out that one and use it as a spare? Or just take it to a prop shop if you want to keep it as your primary prop, usually between $50-$70 to repair the props near where I live.

I wouldn't use it as a primary prop if you hammer it out, the pitch and balance will be off.

Good Luck!

Please do NOT just hammer it out. [-X Take or ship it to a specialty prop shop where they can reshape it just like new. If you don't get this fixed correctly you will be introducing some serious vibration to your motor and transom, as the prop will not be balanced. It's not expensive to get a prop reconditioned.

Good Luck!

CMOS

Atleast you didn't do what did.i also bent the propshaft and prop. Buy a new solas. Fairly cheap. I would hammer that one out and leave on the boat for emergencies only.

I went to the local marine shop and ordered a new prop. I forgot to ask the price (so did the parts guy when he was on the phone ordering it). I told the parts guy I can order a prop online from $70 to $100. He said it should be in that range. If not, they can send it back where it came from.

I'm gonna send off the old prop to get repaired once finances allow. This was bad timing to break my boat; my sister and her five kids are coming out to visit in a week and I'm trying to save up money for Sturgis. So far my Sturgis fund is at about $8.

I carefully examined the shaft. It appears to be straight to the naked eye. It is not leaking any gear oil either.

Use a straight edge and clamp it to the gear housing in some way. Then pull the pull starter while in gear to see if the prop shaft is out. Even a little is bad. I sure hope it isn't as mine was almost half a weeks paycheck. For some motors I'm sure it's a fatal blow for the motor due to costs and value of the motor.

My new prop (a Michigan Match) arrived at the local marine dealer today. I'm $120 poorer now. Oh well. Gonna get it out on the water my next day off. I'm hoping the new prop will give me an extra mph or two.

KillerJ said:
My new prop (a Michigan Match) arrived at the local marine dealer today. I'm $120 poorer now. Oh well. Gonna get it out on the water my next day off. I'm hoping the new prop will give me an extra mph or two.

Did you change pitch?

CMOS

KillerJ said:
No pitch change (still a 13) but the new prop is not beat up and 1/4 inch larger at 10 1/4 inches.

I picked up a 10x13 from Solas couple years ago. Also, I recently added a TinyTac (knockoff) for about $13. Its nice to know your RPMs too.

SDC12936.jpg

I finally got a day off work so it was time to put the new prop on. Plus, My sister and her 6 kids drove out from Oregon and I promised the kids a boat ride/fishing trip.

I go to install my new prop and..... the Marine dealership got me a 10 spline prop. I specifically asked for a "10 inch, 13 degree pitch, 14 spline" prop. I'm about to bust a blood vessel.

My only hope is a early morning trip to the local boat repair guy. I hope he has a used prop that will fit my Johnson in his shop. If not; I'll be pumping up my inflatable kayak and getting an arm workout while the kids are fishing/doing their best to pop the boat.

The last time I visit the Marine dealership will be to return the prop and politely ask for my money back. If they give me a hard time; I might just come unglued.

Latest posts