would you mount rod holders here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of people mount the holders there, but if you're one to move around a lot in the boat, they tend to get in the way when changing positions.

When I had my boat it had pvc pipes mounted on the ends of the seat on the front and rear of the seat angled outward. They were out of the way for the most part but you had to be careful pulling up to a dock or trying to maneuver under overhanging trees.

I'm not much on vertical storage. They would always be in my way somehow. However judging the width of your boat in that pic. It might be your best option.
If you don't have to go to the back of the boat much I'd say go for it.
I never stepped foot into the back of mine when fishing. Until I mounted an engine.

well, since you ASKED - - - - -
That right there is just ASKING for trouble.

in a round bottom boat, your body weight will always pull you to the lowest
point in it. (gravity + physics) Unless you are 6ft 6in tall, it is very possible and almost guaranteed
that at one time or another, you will get a foot hung up and down you go.

and you will look at it with your bloody face and busted elbows and tell yourself - THAT was not a good idea.
BUT - it is your boat, try it, you might like it.

Jus my dos centavos

That is exactly where I have mine mounted and have no issues. When in tow I have horizontal rod holders that secure them to the bench top. But when on the water I place them in the vertical holders (just like yours but I made mine out of pvc pipe and there are 4 of them).

Yes, if you are moving from the back to the front or vise-versa they do get in the way. However, there is a benefit as well ... I use the 4th holder for my net. It is the bigger type net and when placed into the holder it acts like a support pole for me to hold on to when traversing the bench.

Make sure you fasten your hooks closer to the handle of the rods instead of the tips because they have a way of catching you when you pass by them.

I say try it and see if you like it.

I second the custom PVC holders, you could put them closer together and have 5 in the same width as that manufactured 3 rod holder. You could also have them flush w the bench instead of sticking up above it. Mount the PVC to a board or piece of white plastic cutting board and screw that to the bench. I'd also add some ones that tilt out at the sides of the bench, here's some of my creations.........holders.JPG DSCN0292.JPG holder2.JPG

For years, and in numerous boats, I've had two pvc rod holders mounted. But, each one was in the CORNER of that front deck. That keeps my weight in the middle and the rods off to the side. Very helpful for a quick place to drop a rod when you are doing something else, like hauling an anchor or whatever. No reason you couldn't have two on each side. I make my own out of lightweight 1 1/4 inch pvc.

Guess I could troll with them there, but I don't troll often. richg99

Latest posts