Hookset Lo-Back Install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markusboats

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Great site you all have here, I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2007 Lund A14 with a 2007 Mercury 9.9 outboard.

One of the first mods I am looking to complete was having seats mounted to the front and rear benches. I picked up two Hookset Lo-Back Seats from Bass Pro Shops after reading some favourable reviews on durability.

To attach them to the benches, I bought the deck plates and seat bases below.

deckplate.jpg

seatbase.jpg

I have a few questions about the install:

1. How would you recommend I attach the deck plate to the bench? (Benches are 0.063 inches thick)

2. What would be the best screws/fasteners to use?

3. How do I create a space for the middle portion of the deck plate that will sit inside the bench and allow for the seat base to pass through?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

I used a regular hole saw for wood on mine. The one with the drill bit in the center. So it centers it self. It chewed threw the alumnuim pretty good. But man you better measure three times. Cause that's an ugly hole. :mrgreen:
I also just always used the appropriate sized zinc screws for mine. You could buy stainless.
My current boat has plywood on top of the benches. It bites good into it. However I've done the regular seat mounts into aluminum with no problems in the past. Just using the screws. Never had a problem. However I've heard others say theres worked loose. And they where always have to re tighten.
Others will have more suggestions on better screws I'm sure.

Welcome aboard!

To keep from cutting such a massive hole in the boat, I've often added a piece of 2 - 6 on the bottom on the mounting plate. I cut and chew up the 2-6 and then use long bolts to fasten it down. Raises your sear 1+1/2 inches, too. richg99

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.

Rich do you have any photos of how it would look with wood over the bench and under the deck plate?

Has anyone else attached these type of deck plates to a bench with stainless steel screws without issue?

Do you have access to the under side of the bench so that you put a nut on the back side? I used stainless screws with machine thread and nuts on the back side but mine are on raised decks instead of benches. I've had seat swivel bases attached straight to benches before with sheet metal screws and they were always working loose.

markusboats said:
How would you recommend I attach the deck plate to the bench? (Benches are 0.063 inches thick)
Mark:

On a 14' tin used in saltwater with an 18hp OB I had attached the same bases using high-strength 1/4" aluminum rivets from McMaster-Carr (there are other sources too). Worked flawlessly!

Sorry that I don't have any photos. It's been a few years since I last did the 2 x 6 plate.That boat was sold a year ago.

If you have a big ( really big) hole saw, you can just drill through the 2x6.

I did not have a large hole saw, and that is how I came up with the idea to gouge out the 2x6 to fit the funnel-shaped weld on the bottom of the seat mounting plate. I used a variety of tools, from a saber-saw to a side-grinder. It wasn't pretty.

There is NO WAY that I would trust a seat mount with sheet metal screws. The amount of force that you put on the mounting screws while leaning forward or back would (IMHO) rip the seat right out. It would, of course, happen just when you powered up to get out of the way of another boat. BOLT IT.... This is your life we are talking about here.

richg99

Hey Guys,

I ended up using a hole-saw through the bench, removing a section about 12 x 4 inches from the sidewall with a jigsaw, and cutting out the foam with a hacksaw to get access under the bench to bolt the seat with locknuts.

Any suggestions on how to cover/improve the open 12 x 4 section on the sidewall?

I'll try to get some photos of the boat up this week.

Thanks.

Mark

Piece of 1/4 inch plywood, routed edges and painted to match. You can screw through it, using finishing washers. Alternatively, when I needed a removable panel once, I made up a high/low cleat that fastened to the back. I'll have to draw that one up later in the day. richg99