15 HP Long Shaft Johnson: JackPlate or convert Short Shaft?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Below is a pic of my current rig, with a short shaft 1966 Johnson 9.5. It does sit a bit low on the transom but still gets very good performance.

Recently I found a good deal ($200!) for a 1982 Johnson LONG Shaft 15 HP. I'm currently working on getting it running. I'm faced with making a decision to either convert to a short shaft ($170 for driveshaft and ~$25 for a shift rod) OR - use a TH Marine "Mini-Jacker" transom plate to get it to the correct level. I'm leaning towards the jack plate due to the fact that my current 9.5 short shaft is a bit low - the 15 HP will also be.

My one concern with the Mini-Jacker is, will it put the tiller handle up too high in an uncomfortable position?

I also like the fact that I would get about 4" of transom offset which would move the tiller handle back a bit.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons I got the 15 HP is that at some point I will want to buy and restore a 16-foot tinner.

Any opinions or thoughts on me leaning towards the Mini-Jacker?

Thanks,
CMOS

Attachments

• 20150502_154449.jpg
    20150502_154449.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 795
I'd go with the jack-plate. I like the setback as you have mentioned. You can also make your own pretty easily and will not look like the standard plate from BPS that everyone else has.

Think I had about $50 in this one.

Attachments

• DSCF1363.jpg
    DSCF1363.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 786
  • DSCF1361.jpg
    DSCF1361.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 786
I don't, actually like it a bit more. My seat has a spring on the post which lifts it up a bit and I'm 6'2", so no issues on the height.

I see. You have a true seat.

I plan on using the bench seats, but I will be adding a vinyl covered cushion that will be 2" thick. You know, maybe I should consider a seat like yours just in the rear for the driver!?

CMOS

Bowhunter1661 said:
Ictalurus, what are your specs on the components for your jack plate? 2"x2"x1/4" U channel and a 1'x1' 1/4" plate?
Thank you!

Yes, that is right. Bolted with 5/16" SS and some 3M 5200.