opinions on 9.5 for my 14' tin man

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holdemhook56

Reaction score
I have a 1959 feathercraft 14' tinny, that weighs 169 lbs empty. it is mostly flat from about 1/3 of the way back, and the beam is about 48" at it's widest. I have a 5 hp Briggs on it for now, just to have something to use on it, but with 2 batteries, 2 corn fed southern boys, and all our gear, top speed was 6 mph. Which of course yes I knew that it wasnt going to push the boat, but i got the motor to go on my 10' river boat. I'm looking at a 1973 9.5 rude that looks almost brand new, and runs like it is as well, and the price is right. I would like to keep under a 10 hp for a couple lake restrictions around, but I'm just not sure if this motor is going to plane it out. I'm wondering if I'm not better off finding a 9.9 so I could go up to a 15 carb if I need to, but this little 9.5 is priced right, jam up and jelly tight. With me, 1 battery, gas tank, and some lite gear, it would probably do ok. I'm about 230. If my healthy fishing buddy goes night fishing with me and he's about 250, add another battery for the lights, I'm not so sure it will plane out. This weekend we guessed that the total boat weight of the boat was close to 900 lbs fully loaded with all our gear and our arses. Just any opinions from folks who have had experience with these engines. I hear they are pretty bullet proof, but parts are harder to find than the 9.9's. Will post some boat pics shortly for help. thanks

Here are a few pics of my boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 809
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 809
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 809
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 809
Welcome!

I have almost the exact same setup: a 14' mod-v tinny with a 1966 Johnson 9.5.

You will plane just fine by yourself. On my setup, with myself, full 6 gallons of fuel, and my awesome 45lb 5-year old daughter I was humming at about 18 MPH and planing very quickly. Same setup but add the 115 lb wife - slightly slower to plane, top speed of 14 on a rough day on the lake. I am already working on restoring a 1982 Johnson 15 HP as we speak. I need a bit more HP if the whole family goes out.

My best guess is that with you, your buddy and all the gear you would have trouble planing with a 9.5.

Also, you should have no problems with parts on that year model. My 1966 was easy to service and find parts. Make note that the Johnson/Evinrude engines switched to electronic ignition systems (no points) at 1978+. I would lean towards a 78 or later for that reason alone, but I would not hesitate to get that 73 model for a second if it meant getting you on the lake quicker (look for a 15 HP later!).

Hope that helps. Shoot me any questions you may have.

My rig pic below, with awesome daughter included . . .

CMOS

Attachments

• IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 765
CMOS said:
Welcome!

I have almost the exact same setup: a 14' mod-v tinny with a 1966 Johnson 9.5.

You will plane just fine by yourself. On my setup, with myself, full 6 gallons of fuel, and my awesome 45lb 5-year old daughter I was humming at about 18 MPH and planing very quickly. Same setup but add the 115 lb wife - slightly slower to plane, top speed of 14 on a rough day on the lake. I am already working on restoring a 1982 Johnson 15 HP as we speak. I need a bit more HP if the whole family goes out.

My best guess is that with you, your buddy and all the gear you would have trouble planing with a 9.5.

Also, you should have no problems with parts on that year model. My 1966 was easy to service and find parts. Make note that the Johnson/Evinrude engines switched to electronic ignition systems (no points) at 1978+. I would lean towards a 78 or later for that reason alone, but I would not hesitate to get that 73 model for a second if it meant getting you on the lake quicker (look for a 15 HP later!).

Hope that helps. Shoot me any questions you may have.

My rig pic below, with awesome daughter included . . .

CMOS

Love the lines on that boat. Very nice looking rig. Awesome having the kids out it the boat. I have 3 grown boys, and a 3 year old and 1 year old. My 3 year old thinks the "pirate boat" is the most awesome thing on the planet. (He watches a little too much "Jake and the never land pirates" on Disney so EVERY boat is a PIRATE BOAT!)

After talking to a few folks I think I'm going to hold out for a 9.9 and upgrade to 15 carb later. The Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia is one of my favorite places to fish and it's 10 horse restricted, as well as a lake just north of me I just fished for the first time. Thanks for the info and enjoy the awesomeness!!

Well i decided I didn't want to take any chances on being under powered so I bought a 25 Evinrude off capitalist for $500 and has both electric start and pull start. It had 120 compression in both cylinders and runs great, but sure does needs a paint job. It needs a little tlc but nothing i can't do on my own. Thanks for the replies guys.

Holdemhook56 said:
Well i decided I didn't want to take any chances on being under powered so I bought a 25 Evinrude off capitalist for $500 and has both electric start and pull start. It had 120 compression in both cylinders and runs great, but sure does needs a paint job. It needs a little tlc but nothing i can't do on my own. Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm working on restoring an 82 Johnson 15 HP now. When I get that running, I'll be looking for a 25 HP Johnson also!

CMOS

Latest posts