New to owning a boat. Here's my first question .

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanhoogie

Reaction score
I just bought a mid 70s John boat with a 20hp mercury 200 outboard.
I got her running for a little bit but will not stay running.
Here's my stupid question.
This being a 2 stroke ( I'm assuming) do I need to put in a oil additive ?
I just put regular fuel in the tank.
Could that be the reason it will not stay running. ?
If so what kind of additive should I use and did I jack something up by starting it up like that.
Thanks for any kind of help.

Ouch.

50 to one two stroke oil to gas ratio.(2.6 oz. of oil per one gallon fuel.) TCW-3 oil recommended. Add oil to fuel tank. Add fuel partly filling tank,rock to mix,add balance of fuel.
(Disclaimer)Keep tank grounded around fuel pumps to be safe. Know the fumes need little to ignite so keep away from heat,static, spark ,smoking, pilot lights, ect.
There is no other engine lubrication on your two stroke so oil must be added to fuel. The mixture then goes through engine providing lubrication that way ,rather than a crankcase splash method,pump, or injection system.
Later two stroke models have oil reservoirs to contain oil and dispense it into system.
Four strokes are another system that contain oil separate from fuel.
Water impeller should be replaced if it was not recently.
Motor must have water circulating through it while running.
Depends how long you ran it, and how it was stored before as to possible damage.

Here's an older thread about the 20 HP Merc.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19099

I feel like an idiot.
It only ran for about 20 seconds.
Hopefully I didn't cause any damage.
Thank you for the info..

Don't feel like an idiot.
None of us are born knowing every thing.
By the time you have your boat and motor near where you want it you will have learned more.
Have fun with it!

Twice.
But the longest it ran was about 20 sec.
I made a mixture last night and the pulled the **** rip cord out...
another attempt tonight.

My boat came to me with a 1975 20hp merc. It was a basket case (parts scattered all over the boat and lots of bolts/nuts/screws and other pieces missing) when I got it, but a little TLC and a few parts and it was running like the proverbial sewing machine. The only thing you had to watch with it was it would flood very easy when starting if you used the choke more than one pull.

By the way....no one mentioned it.....but that is a 2-stroke. A little tender loving care and good maintenance and it will out last you.

Good luck with your project.

Latest posts