Buddy Boat Brand - Pics of new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concepthomes1

Reaction score
I'm picking up a free-to-me 12' aluminum riveted jon boat this weekend and the current owner states that the brand is "Buddy Boat". For the life of me, I can not find any website for this "Buddy Boat" company.

Does this maker's name sound familiar to anyone here?

Here are some pics I took today:
Boat 1.jpg
Boat 2.jpg
Boat 3.jpg

the current owner states that the brand is "Buddy Boat".

That "brand" of boat has been around for a long time. . . .
it all started in 1945, just after WWII - - - A soldier came home from the war and his buddy gave him a boat.
Then after a few years, he bought a better boat and gave the old boat to a buddy of his down the street.
then, that guy moved and couldn't take the boat with him, so he gave it to his buddy that could use it with his kids.
and now, you have it. That, sir, is the Buddy Brand of boat. ENJOY !!!

And :WELCOME: to our Bayou

So, that's the story! I had heard someone talking about a "Buddy Boat" a couple of years ago, and not wanting to appear any more ignorant than I am, I didn't ask what a Buddy Boat was.

Now I know!

Is that PT plywood I see installed on the boat? You will regret that.

surfman said:

It is, but I didn't add it. The previous owner had installed it. What are the negatives with it?

concepthomes1 said:
surfman said:

It is, but I didn't add it. The previous owner had installed it. What are the negatives with it?

Pressure treated wood is often processed with copper and aluminum and copper do not play well together. It will pit the aluminum in a chemical process called galvanic corrosion.

If you coat the PT wood with a heavy coating of epoxy paint to seal it and "keep" the copper in, it will last for years (basically forever) but, epoxy will need to be varnished as well since it will not hold up well to sunlight. I would not use just plain old varnish on PT but plain old varnish works pretty well on plain old exterior untreated plywood.

I know this is an old thread but the whole theory about buddy boat just meaning a boat handed down from a friend is WRONG.

I’m currently restoring my dad’s 12 ft Buddy Boat from the early 70’s.

Buddy was a highly regarded brand for small river boats here in Georgia. They were built from heavier aluminum than a lot of boats back then. They were also narrow enough to sit on the front seat am
No paddle the boat stern first down stream. This was before trolling motors were popular.

Geechee said:
I know this is an old thread but the whole theory about buddy boat just meaning a boat handed down from a friend is WRONG.

I’m currently restoring my dad’s 12 ft Buddy Boat from the early 70’s.

Buddy was a highly regarded brand for small river boats here in Georgia. They were built from heavier aluminum than a lot of boats back then. They were also narrow enough to sit on the front seat am
No paddle the boat stern first down stream. This was before trolling motors were popular.

Thanks for the info! And Welcome!

Latest posts