decking alternatives

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny68

Reaction score
I am planning to start a jon boat conversion in which we will put a deck in the front and a floor in the rear of the boat. I have the aluminum angle on order to build the frame for the decking. I typically store this boat outside in the winter months. That is what I love about an aluminum boat. I am thinking that plywood decking, even treated, is going to be the weak link that will need to be replaced periodically. Are they composite alternatives? I guess I could put down an aluminum sheet and cover with carpet.

Open to suggestions. Thanks, Tim

I am presently working on restoring a Ouachita flat bottom jon for my use. Sitting next to it is my Grumman that has plastic wood supports under the painted plywood floors. The Grumman when not being used is covered with a Harbor Master cover (Walmart for $50.00) and two supports, also from Walmart at $10.00 a set. During the Winter it gets one of those cheap blue tarps from Harbor Freight to protect the cloth cover. You can even go cheap an build a frame to put on the boat for the cheap blue cover. There will be some kind of cover on the Ouachita as soon as I get the flotation and aluminum floor back in it. I would think that letting snow lay on the plywood floor, even properly sealed, would lessen its life cycle. Kris

I agree with the aluminum sheet and some sort of paint or coating. Will be lighter and last longer than any sort of wood. I'm not a fan of carpet as it seems difficult to keep clean. I used paint and applied a product called Asper Grit. It's an anti-skid that is mixed with the paint or broadcast onto the paint between coats. I really like how mine turned out.

As far as storing outside just get some sort of cover. Once I completed my mods I bought a 10' x 20' heavy duty tarp that is UV resistant off of Ebay for around $30. Used 2 old saw horses I had laying around and a length of 2x4 to support the tarp. Keeps my boat bone dry and the UV resistance of the tarp has keep anything in my boat from fading or sun damage. I keep my camo seats in the boat year round and they still look good as new.

I used .052 aluminum...self etching primer then painted. Light weight and won't rot!

Latest posts